How to solve Rashba and Dresselhaus SOC Hamiltonian

In summary, the Rashba and Dresselhaus spin-orbit coupling (SOC) terms can be identified by the symmetry of the system or by calculating the spin splitting in the energy spectrum. The Hamiltonian for Rashba and Dresselhaus SOC can be written as H = H<sub>0</sub> + H<sub>R</sub> + H<sub>D</sub>, and can be solved by diagonalizing the Hamiltonian matrix using numerical or analytical methods. These SOC terms can lead to effects such as spin splitting, spin polarization, and spin-orbit torque, and can be controlled or tuned by external parameters such as electric fields, strain, and magnetic fields.
drFredkin

Homework Statement

How can I solve this hamiltonian equation?
H= p2/2m +α/ħ (σxpy - σypx) + γ/ħ (σxpx - σypy) + βxσx + βyσy

Homework Equations

Rashba coupling effect equation: HR=α(σykx - σxky)

The Attempt at a Solution

H02k2/2m + HR+ HD

Attachments

• ham.PNG
    ham.PNG
    2.1 KB · Views: 497
Physics news on Phys.org
I first thought about solving the eigenvalues and position representation eigenfunctions by assuming the eigenfunctions are of product form ##\psi(x,y) = \alpha(x)\beta(y)## and using separation of variables to get ODE:s for ##\alpha## and ##\beta##, but if the coefficients ##\sigma_{i}## are matrices instead of numbers, that probably makes the situation more complicated...

Related to How to solve Rashba and Dresselhaus SOC Hamiltonian

1. How do I identify if my system contains Rashba and Dresselhaus spin-orbit coupling (SOC)?

The Rashba and Dresselhaus SOC terms can be identified by looking at the symmetry of the system. If the system lacks inversion symmetry, it is likely to contain Rashba SOC. If the system lacks both inversion and mirror symmetries, it is likely to contain Dresselhaus SOC. Another way to identify SOC is by calculating the spin splitting in the energy spectrum of the system.

2. What is the Hamiltonian for Rashba and Dresselhaus SOC?

The Hamiltonian for Rashba and Dresselhaus SOC can be written as H = H0 + HR + HD, where H0 is the free electron Hamiltonian, HR is the Rashba SOC term, and HD is the Dresselhaus SOC term. The Rashba term is proportional to the cross product of the electron momentum and the spin, while the Dresselhaus term is proportional to the dot product of the electron momentum and the spin.

3. How do I solve the Rashba and Dresselhaus SOC Hamiltonian?

The Rashba and Dresselhaus SOC Hamiltonian can be solved by diagonalizing the Hamiltonian matrix. This can be achieved by using numerical methods such as the diagonalization of the spin-orbit matrix or by using analytical solutions for specific systems. Another approach is to use perturbation theory to approximate the solution.

4. What are the effects of Rashba and Dresselhaus SOC on the electronic properties of a material?

Rashba and Dresselhaus SOC can lead to several interesting effects such as spin splitting in the energy spectrum, spin polarization of the electron states, and spin-orbit torque. These effects can be utilized in spintronics applications such as spin-based transistors and spin valves.

5. Can Rashba and Dresselhaus SOC be controlled or tuned?

Yes, Rashba and Dresselhaus SOC can be controlled or tuned by external parameters such as electric fields, strain, and magnetic fields. For example, the strength of Rashba SOC can be tuned by changing the electric field at the interface of two materials with different dielectric constants. Similarly, Dresselhaus SOC can be tuned by applying strain to a material with anisotropic crystal structure.