How to Solve Parallel Circuit Problems in Electronics

In summary, a circuit with 3 resistors (250.0 , 150.0 , 350.0 ) connected in parallel with a 24.0 V battery has a total current of 0.324 A. To find the current through each resistor, the shortcut is to use the conductances of each component (G=1/R) and add them together. However, this method is not commonly taught in electronics classes due to its potential for confusion.
camel-man
1. Consider a circuit with 3 resistors (250.0 , 150.0 , 350.0  ) connected in parallel with a 24.0 V battery.

Find the total current supplied by the battery.

Find the current through each resistor.

2. I=V/R

3. I know that resistors in parallel must be added up and then inveted like so
1/150 + 1/ 350 + 1/250 then invert the answer. When I do that I get 74. I then add that into I=V/R where V=24 and R=74
My answer I=.324

Physics news on Phys.org
camel-man said:
1. Consider a circuit with 3 resistors (250.0 , 150.0 , 350.0  ) connected in parallel with a 24.0 V battery.

2. I=V/R

1/150 + 1/ 350 + 1/250 then invert the answer. When I do that I get 74. I then add that into I=V/R where V=24 and R=74
My answer I=.324

What you found is the current through the equivalent resistance. What they want is the current through each individual resistor. Do you know the voltage across each individual resistor? (hint: they are in parallel, so ...)

camel-man said:

2. I=V/R

My answer I=.324

Well, that's the total current through the battery, assuming the battery is ideal and does not have any internal resistance. :approve:

The next part of the problem is to find the current through each resistor. (See nrqed's post)

A shortcut to doing parallel resistance problems is to use the CONDUCTANCES of each component: (G=1/R). Then you can simply add the Gs of each component. This is what you're actually doing when you use the formula Rt=1/(1/r1+1/r2+1/r3...). But they never tell you how they get that in most electronics classes!

Eric

KL7AJ said:
A shortcut to doing parallel resistance problems is to use the CONDUCTANCES of each component: (G=1/R). Then you can simply add the Gs ...

But they never tell you how they get that in most electronics classes!
With good reason, IMHO. It's too confusing! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/waffen/violent-smiley-049.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to How to Solve Parallel Circuit Problems in Electronics

1. What is a parallel circuit?

A parallel circuit is an electrical circuit in which the current flows through multiple branches or paths. This allows for different components to receive the same voltage and operate independently from each other.

2. How do you calculate the total resistance of a parallel circuit?

The total resistance of a parallel circuit is calculated by adding the reciprocals of the individual resistances and then taking the reciprocal of the sum. This can be written as 1/Rtotal = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ... + 1/Rn. The total resistance will always be less than the smallest individual resistance in the circuit.

3. What is the difference between a series circuit and a parallel circuit?

In a series circuit, the current only has one path to flow through all the components, while in a parallel circuit, the current has multiple paths to flow through. Additionally, in a series circuit, the total resistance is equal to the sum of each individual resistance, while in a parallel circuit, the total resistance is less than the smallest individual resistance.

4. How do you calculate the total current in a parallel circuit?

The total current in a parallel circuit is calculated by adding the individual branch currents. This means that the total current will always be greater than the current in any one of the branches. It can be written as Itotal = I1 + I2 + I3 + ... + In.

5. What are some common problems that can occur in a parallel circuit?

Some common problems that can occur in a parallel circuit include unequal distribution of current, voltage drops in certain branches, and circuit overloading. These issues can be addressed by properly calculating the resistance and current in each branch and ensuring that the overall circuit can handle the total current.