How to Solve for x or y in a Horizontal Tangent Problem?

In summary, to solve for either x or y in the equation 4x-2xy=0, you can factor out 2x to get the equations 2x=0 or 2-y=0. This means that x=0 and y=2. When plugging these values into the original equation, the x's do not cancel out. Additionally, in the original equation 2y^3 + 6(x^2)y - 12x^2 + 6y = 14x-2xy=0, solving for x yields x=1. After plugging in these values, the equation is equal to 0, indicating that the solution is correct.
brambleberry

Homework Statement

4x - 2xy = 0
how do i solve for EITHER x or y?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i got y = 2 at first but when i plugged it into the original equation to find x it was impossible to get an answer (the x's canceled out)

Physics news on Phys.org
brambleberry said:
i got y = 2 at first but when i plugged it into the original equation to find x it was impossible to get an answer (the x's canceled out)

the x doesn't cancel out.

4x-2xy=0
2x(2-y)=0

so 2x=0 or 2-y=0.

Meaning x=0,y=2

rock.freak667 said:
the x doesn't cancel out.

4x-2xy=0
2x(2-y)=0

so 2x=0 or 2-y=0.

Meaning x=0,y=2

the original equation is 2y^3 + 6(x^2)y - 12x^2 + 6y = 1

4x-2xy=0
4x=2xy
4=2y
2=y
4x-2x(2)=0
4x=2x(2)
4x=4x
x=1
4(1)-2(1)(2)
4-4=0
yeah i think that's right but not 100% sure

Related to How to Solve for x or y in a Horizontal Tangent Problem?

1. What is a horizontal tangent?

A horizontal tangent is a line that is parallel to the x-axis and touches the curve of a function at a specific point. This means that the slope of the tangent line at that point is equal to 0.

2. What is the significance of a horizontal tangent?

A horizontal tangent can indicate important information about the behavior of a function. It can help identify maximum or minimum points, points of inflection, and critical points.

3. How do you find the horizontal tangent of a function?

To find the horizontal tangent of a function, you need to take the derivative of the function and set it equal to 0. The x-value of the resulting equation will give you the point where the horizontal tangent touches the curve.

4. Can a function have more than one horizontal tangent?

Yes, a function can have multiple horizontal tangents. This can occur when the slope of the function changes from positive to 0, then back to positive again.

5. How can the horizontal tangent problem be applied in real-life situations?

The horizontal tangent problem can be applied in various real-life situations, such as in physics to determine the maximum height of a projectile or the minimum speed required for a car to make a turn without slipping. It can also be used in economics to find the optimal production level for a business.