How to Solve Exponents that also has a variable with it

In summary, the conversation is about a notation in engineering mathematics that involves exponents and where to find resources on how to deal with them. The conversation also mentions the function x^x and its related identities, as well as the use of PEMDAS rules in interpreting the notation.
enggM
When one was reading some review books for engineering mathematics one has come across that kind of notation, below, and where to find books or materials that deals with these kinds of exponents, they look like this>> x^3x+2.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
This must be the most unintentionally hilarious post I've ever seen on PF.

Well from what I know functions like x^x simply grow very quickly, there are some identities related to the function.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sophomore's_dream

i know right. I didn't quite get it but after some analysis though its easy.:) also I'm not referring to higher mathematics for this one, this was pure algebra under the laws of exponent. ah thanks for the help by the way.

enggM said:
When one was reading some review books for engineering mathematics one has come across that kind of notation, below, and where to find books or materials that deals with these kinds of exponents, they look like this>> x^3x+2.
You might want to work on your notation. According to the PEMDAS rules, that string parses as: ##( x^3 \cdot x ) + 2##

Related to How to Solve Exponents that also has a variable with it

1. How do I solve an exponent with a variable?

To solve an exponent with a variable, you need to use the laws of exponents. The most commonly used laws are the power rule, product rule, and quotient rule. These rules can help you simplify and solve expressions with variables raised to exponents.

2. What is the power rule for solving exponents with variables?

The power rule states that when a variable is raised to an exponent, and that entire expression is raised to another exponent, you can multiply the exponents together. For example, (x^2)^3 = x^6.

3. How do I use the product rule to solve exponents with variables?

The product rule states that when you multiply two expressions with the same base, but different exponents, you can add the exponents together. For example, x^3 * x^4 = x^(3+4) = x^7.

4. Can I use the quotient rule to solve exponents with variables?

Yes, the quotient rule can also be used to solve exponents with variables. This rule states that when you divide two expressions with the same base, but different exponents, you can subtract the exponents. For example, x^5 / x^2 = x^(5-2) = x^3.

5. Is there a specific order to follow when using the laws of exponents to solve expressions with variables?

Yes, the order of operations still applies when using the laws of exponents. You should simplify within parentheses first, then use the power rule, followed by the product rule, and finally the quotient rule. If there are multiple exponents, you can use the power rule multiple times until the expression is simplified.