How to Solve Exponential Equations with Natural Logs?

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving exponential equations and the use of natural logs to solve it. The participants discuss multiplying both sides by exp(-0.5x) and using ln to simplify the equation. One of them shares their working after the test and another provides the correct solution. The conversation ends with a thank you for the help.
pavadrin
hey
2day i had a test in intro calc and was given the following problem to solve:

[tex]50e^(2x) = 100e^(0.5x)[/tex]

i was quite annoyed :mad: at this problem because i didn’t know how to solve it. although i do know that natural logs need to be taken on both sides to solve it, however the coefficient of the e really had me confused. any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks,
Pavadrin

Physics news on Phys.org
What happens if you multiply both sides by exp(-0.5x)... ?

I got stuck on the same question :(

heres the working i did for it after the test.

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/3503/logszp0.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
if both sides are multiplied by exp(-0.5x) would that make it:

[tex]50e^2.5x = 100e^x[/tex]

but i don't see how that helps, thanks for the relpy though

eax * e-ax = eax-ax = e0 = 1

danago is correct.

Using ln,

[tex]50e^{2x} = 100e^{0.5x}[/tex]

start by dividing the equation by 50

[tex]e^{2x} = 2e^{0.5x}[/tex]

take natural log

[tex]2x = ln 2\,+\,0.5x[/tex]

[tex]1.5x = ln 2[/tex]

[tex]x = \frac{ln 2}{1.5}[/tex]

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
danago is correct.
I just didn't want to give the game away :smile:

Related to How to Solve Exponential Equations with Natural Logs?

1. What is a natural log test problem?

A natural log test problem is a mathematical problem that involves using logarithmic functions with a base of e, also known as the natural logarithm. It is commonly used in statistics and mathematical modeling to analyze data and make predictions.

2. How do you solve a natural log test problem?

To solve a natural log test problem, you first need to understand the properties of logarithmic functions. You can then use these properties to simplify the problem and solve for the unknown variable. It is also helpful to have a calculator or computer program that can calculate natural logarithms.

3. What is the difference between a natural log and a common log?

A natural log (ln) uses a base of e (approximately 2.718) while a common log (log) uses a base of 10. This means that the natural log is the inverse of the exponential function with a base of e, while the common log is the inverse of the exponential function with a base of 10.

4. When should you use a natural log test in data analysis?

A natural log test is commonly used in data analysis when the data has a skewed distribution, meaning the data is not normally distributed. By taking the natural log of the data, it can help to normalize the distribution and make it easier to analyze.

5. Are there any limitations to using natural log test problems?

Yes, there are some limitations to using natural log test problems. They may not be appropriate for all types of data and can sometimes lead to misleading results. It is important to carefully consider the data and the purpose of the analysis before deciding to use a natural log test.