How to solve a system of 3 equations for 3 unknowns

In summary, the goal is to find x, m, and L in terms of a, b, c, and g. Unknowns are x, m, and L. The intent is to solve equations (2) and (4) for x and m, and then use substitution and/or elimination to solve equations (1) and (3). Using eumyang's suggestions, x and m can be calculated.
christurnadge

Homework Statement

The variables of interest are :

Constants are a, b, c, and g

Unknowns are x, m, and L

The intent is to define x, m, and L in terms of a, b, c, and g.

Homework Equations

The three dependent equations are :

(1) x + g*m = c

(2) [x / (a^2)] + L = 0

(3) [m / (b^2)] + g*L = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution is known to be :

(4) x = [(a^2)*c] / [(a^2) + (g^2)*(b^2)]

(5) m = [(b^2)*g*c] / [(a^2) + (g^2)*(b^2)]

(6) L = (-c) / [(a^2) + (g^2)*(b^2)]

I would like to know the steps used to calculate this solution, using substitution and/or elimination. I apologise for not using LaTex formatting for the equations. Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can help but where is your work? Have you even tried to work this on your own?

I'm interested as to how this is solved as it is part of a numerical method (adjoint-states) that I'm trying to understand. I've never studied linear algebra formally, so I don't have any experience in solving systems of equations. Through internet searching I have noted the use of substitution and elimination to solve such problems, but nonetheless I do not know how to begin.

I hope that you or other forum members may be able to demonstrate the steps required to achieve the solutions presented.

Thank you.

christurnadge said:
I hope that you or other forum members may be able to demonstrate the steps required to achieve the solutions presented.
We are not allowed to just give the solutions -- it's against forum rules.

I'll give you a hint to start, and I ask that you show the work in using the hint:
- Solve equation (2) for x.
- Solve equation (3) for m.
- Plug in the results into equation (1).

Using eumyang's suggestions, I can now calculate the solutions as follows :

(1) [x / (a^2)] + L = 0, therefore

(2) x = -(a^2)*L

(3) [m / (b^2)] + g*L = 0, therefore

(4) m = -(b^2)*g*L

For the following equation,

(5) x + g*m = c

using the identities provided by equations (2) and (4) gives :

(6) -(a^2)*L + g*[-(b^2)*g*L] = c

which can be rearranged to solve for L :

(7) L = (-c) / [(a^2) + (g^2)*(b^2)]

Now this definition of L can be inserted into equations (2) and (4) to provide definitions for x and m.

Thanks very much eumyang for your suggestions to get started!

Related to How to solve a system of 3 equations for 3 unknowns

What is a system of equations?

A system of equations is a group of two or more equations that are related to each other and have a common solution. In a system of three equations for three unknowns, there are three equations and three variables that need to be solved simultaneously.

What are the methods for solving a system of 3 equations for 3 unknowns?

The most commonly used methods for solving a system of 3 equations for 3 unknowns are substitution, elimination, and matrix methods. These methods involve manipulating the equations to eliminate variables and find the values for each unknown.

How do I know if a system of equations has a unique solution?

A system of equations has a unique solution if the number of equations is equal to the number of unknowns and the equations are independent (not multiples of each other). This means that there is only one set of values for the unknowns that will satisfy all the equations in the system.

What should I do if a system of equations has no solution?

If a system of equations has no solution, it means that the equations are inconsistent and there is no set of values for the unknowns that will satisfy all the equations. This could happen if the equations are contradictory or if there are not enough equations to determine a unique solution.

Can I use a calculator or computer software to solve a system of 3 equations for 3 unknowns?

Yes, calculators and computer software can be useful tools for solving systems of equations. However, it is important to understand the methods used by the calculator or software so that you can verify the results and understand the process of solving the equations.