How to solve a Lorentz force problem

In summary, the Lorentz force affects bulk fluid motion by causing a dynamo effect when an applied electric field, magnetic field, and bulk fluid velocity are all orthogonal to each other. This creates a current and force that accelerates the bulk fluid motion and increases the radius of the cyclotron effect.
MagnetoBLI
I am trying to understand how the Lorentz force affects bulk fluid motion when I have an applied electric field (y-axis), applied magnetic field (x-axis) and bulk fluid velocity (z-axis), all orthogonal to each other.

I understand that if the fluid was at rest, an electrostatic force would generate a velocity in the y-axis, which would also generate a Lorentz force/velocity in the z-axis and form the cyclotron effect.

However, when the bulk fluid velocity in the z-axis exists, I presume this flow cannot be considered a moving charge (as both ions and electrons are travelling) and therefore the only moving charge is associated with the electric field. Instead a dynamo effect would take place such that the momentum force of the z-axis fluid flow would generate a current in the negative y-axis (should be negative in the image) and this current would in turn produce a force in the z-axis, thus accelerating the bulk fluid motion. Therefore the net effect would be to increase the radius of the cyclotron affect in the z-axis. Is this correct?

Could you tell me where the magnetic and electric field vectors should be to produce a force perpendicular to the bulk fluid motion (right schematic in the attachment)?

Any comments are much appreciated.

Attachment found in: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=665859

Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, your understanding is correct. The dynamo effect you mention occurs when the bulk fluid flow (in the z-axis) interacts with the electric field (in the y-axis) to create a current in the negative y-axis, which then produces a force in the z-axis, thus accelerating the bulk fluid motion. This can be thought of as an extension of the cyclotron effect, where the moving charge (in this case the bulk fluid flow) interacts with the magnetic field to produce a force perpendicular to both the electric and magnetic fields. To produce a force perpendicular to the bulk fluid motion, the electric and magnetic field vectors should be arranged such that they form a cross (as shown in the right schematic in the attachment). The electric field should be directed along the y-axis and the magnetic field along the x-axis. This will cause a Lorentz force to be generated along the z-axis, perpendicular to the bulk fluid motion.

Related to How to solve a Lorentz force problem

1. How do I calculate the Lorentz force?

To calculate the Lorentz force, you will need to use the formula F = q(E + v x B), where q is the charge of the particle, E is the electric field, v is the velocity of the particle, and B is the magnetic field. Simply plug in the values and solve for F.

2. What is the direction of the Lorentz force?

The direction of the Lorentz force is perpendicular to both the electric field and the velocity of the particle. This means that it will be either towards or away from the magnetic field, depending on the direction of the velocity.

3. How does the Lorentz force affect charged particles?

The Lorentz force is responsible for the motion of charged particles in electric and magnetic fields. It can cause the particles to accelerate, deflect, or even move in a circular path depending on the strength and direction of the fields.

4. Can the Lorentz force be used to solve real-life problems?

Yes, the Lorentz force is commonly used in many real-life applications such as electric motors, particle accelerators, and magnetic levitation systems. It is also essential in understanding the behavior of particles in space and other natural phenomena.

5. What are some common mistakes when solving Lorentz force problems?

One common mistake is forgetting to take into account the direction of the velocity when calculating the force. Another mistake is using the wrong units for the electric and magnetic fields, which can lead to incorrect results. It is also important to properly identify the direction of the force and the motion of the charged particle in relation to the fields.