How to sketch the graph of a function

In summary, the conversation discusses how to sketch the graph of an exponential function with the equation y=e^{-2x^3+3x^2+1}. The process involves analyzing the function's behavior, finding critical values and asymptotes, and using the second derivative test for concavity information. The conversation also mentions finding the y-intercept as another point on the curve and thanks someone for helping improve the post.
Petrus
Hello,

I wanted to take some time and show how to sketch the graph of a function! If you see anything that is wrong, please PM me and I will correct it!:) I hope you enjoy, understand and learn!:)

1. An exponential function

Draw the graph of \(\displaystyle y=e^{-2x^3+3x^2+1}\)

Okay, the first thing I notice is that the graph will never cut the $x$-axis because for any real $x$:

\(\displaystyle e^{-2x^3+3x^2+1}\neq0\)

If we look at y intercept ( Where the function cut the \(\displaystyle y\)-axis that means \(\displaystyle x=0\) so we get
\(\displaystyle e^{-2*0^3+3*0^2+1}=e\)

Okay, next we want to differentiate with respect to $x$ because we want to look at the slope.So how do we differentiate that function?

Using the chain rule, we find:

\(\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx}=e^{-2x^3+3x^2+1}\frac{d}{dx}(-2x^3+3x^2+1)=e^{-2x^3+3x^2+1}(-6x^2+6x)=6x(1-x)e^{-2x^3+3x^2+1}\)

If we want to find the critical values, we have to equate the derivative to zero (this is where the slope is zero)

Because \(\displaystyle e^{-2x^3+3x^2+1}\neq0\) this leaves us with:

\(\displaystyle 6x(1-x)=0\)

If we solve that equation we get \(\displaystyle x=1\) and \(\displaystyle x=0\) and it is at those $x$-values we will have extrema since they are roots of odd multiplicity and we therefore know the sign of the derivative will change across these critical values.

Let's make a schedule to analyze the intervals of increasing/decreasing behavior, and we see:
2rhnqld.png

So, we may conclude that the given function is:

decreasing on \(\displaystyle (-\infty,0)\)

increasing on \(\displaystyle (0,1)\)

decreasing on \(\displaystyle (1,\infty)\)

Next, let's find the asymptotes.

Note: Only rational functions have oblique or slant asymptotes, so there is none for this function!

We can also see that this function has no vertical asymptotes since it is continuous for all real $x$.

Sso now for any horizontal asymptotes. We find:

\(\displaystyle \lim_{x->\infty}e^{-2x^3+3x^2+1}=0\)

\(\displaystyle \lim_{x->-\infty}e^{-2x^3+3x^2+1}=\infty\)

And this tell us that when $x$ goes to \(\displaystyle \infty\) then $y$ will go to zero, hence we have the horizontal asymptote given by $y=0$.

Now I leave it to you to draw the graph!:)

Thanks MarkFL for improving my post!

Regards,
\(\displaystyle |\pi\rangle\)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Re: How to draw a function

It might also be useful if you included the second derivative and concavity information.

Something else that can be useful for sketching the graph of a function is to find the $y$-intercept, if it has one. This gives you another point on the curve. :D

Hello,
I see have missed some stuff, I will make a second differentiate test ( I did take this problem from my book that was not interested on second differentiate test and forgot about that!) and about y intercept is something I totaly forgot which is easy to se it will be \(\displaystyle y=e\) Thanks for you all taking your time and helping me improve my post!

Regards,
\(\displaystyle |\pi\rangle\)

Related to How to sketch the graph of a function

1. What is the first step in sketching the graph of a function?

The first step in sketching the graph of a function is to identify the domain and range of the function. This will help determine the scale and limits of the graph.

2. How do I find the x and y intercepts of a function?

To find the x-intercepts, set y=0 and solve for x. To find the y-intercepts, set x=0 and solve for y.

3. What is the role of symmetry in sketching a function's graph?

Symmetry is important in sketching a function's graph because it can help determine the shape and behavior of the graph. A function can have symmetry about the x-axis, y-axis, or origin.

4. How do I plot points on a graph for a given function?

To plot points on a graph for a given function, substitute different values of x into the function and solve for y. These ordered pairs can then be plotted on the graph.

5. What are the key features to look for when analyzing a function's graph?

The key features to look for when analyzing a function's graph are the intercepts, symmetry, maximum and minimum points, and the behavior of the graph at the ends of the domain.