How to sketch phase planes by hand

In summary, drawing phase planes for linear systems involves determining the eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and then drawing straight lines along the direction of the eigenvectors. For complex eigenvalues, circles or spirals will be seen. For more general cases, a quadrant approach can be used by calculating the isoclines and the direction of the vectors between them. Checking for critical points and following the vectors can help in sketching the phase planes accurately. The book "Differential Equations: A Dynamical System Approach" by Hubbard and West is recommended for a better understanding of this method.
pakmingki2
so, for the very specific cases of linear systems

i can identify what shape it will be after determining the eigenvalues, but i really do not know how to go about sketching the phase planes.

can someone give me a method?

Physics news on Phys.org
Added in edit: I just went back and reread your post. In the "specific case of linear systems", after you have found the eigenvalues and eigenvectors, draw straight lines along the direction of the eigenvectors, including their directions as t increases. Draw the other curves close to those lines following their direction and "asymptotic" to those lines.

If your eigenvalues are complex, then, of course, you will have circles or spirals as phase lines.

I assume you have equations of the form dx/dt= f(x,y) and dy/dt= g(x,y). At each point, (x,y), then dy/dx= g(x,y)/f(x,y). Choose a number of points in the plane, and calculate dy/dx for each of them. That gives you the slope of the line through that point that is tangent to the solution curve through that point. Draw a short line through the point with that slope (you might find it easier to use f(x,y) and g(x,y) separately to fine the "run" and "rise"). Oh, and be sure to put a little "arrowhead" on the line to show the direction of "flow" as t increases- use the signs of f(x,y) and g(x,y) to get that.

The more general case, dx/dt= f(x,y,t) and dy/dt= g(x,y,t) is harder- you have a different phase plane for every value of t.

Last edited by a moderator:
A fantastic way of sketching phase planes comes explained in

Hubbard, J. H. and West, B.H. Differential Equations: A Dynamical System Approach. Vol 2. Springer.

It basically consist in cutting the plane in "quadrants" between the isoclines. As Hall's said, you take [itex]dy/dx=f(x,y)/g(x,y)[/itex] and draw the curves [itex]f(x,y)=0[/itex], [itex]g(x,y)=0[/itex]. This will give you the isoclines with zero slope (nullclines) and the ones with infinite slope. Then you'll have to calculate the direction of the vectors lying in those curves (i.e. when [itex]f(x,y)=0[/itex] and [itex]x<0[/itex], the vectors over the nullcline point to the East (negative direction in [itex]x[/itex]), while if [itex]x>0[/itex], they point to the West (positive direction in [itex]x[/itex])). That way, you can tell in which direction the vectors in the regions between such isoclines point (NE, NW, SE, SW). Then you'll only have to check what kind of critical points you have, and follow the vectors. That's it!

I strongly recommend you to look at Hubbard's book. It has figures which makes it all more easier to understand. Plus is a great book for qualitative study of ODE's.

Last edited:

Related to How to sketch phase planes by hand

1. How do I determine the direction of the arrows in a phase plane?

The direction of the arrows in a phase plane is determined by the slope of the vector field at each point in the plane. To find the slope, you can use the equations of the system to calculate the derivative of each variable with respect to time. The sign of the derivative will indicate the direction of the arrows.

2. What is the significance of equilibrium points in a phase plane?

Equilibrium points, also known as fixed points or critical points, are points in the phase plane where the system is at rest and the values of the variables remain constant over time. These points are important because they represent the stable or unstable behavior of the system.

3. How do I determine the stability of an equilibrium point in a phase plane?

The stability of an equilibrium point can be determined by analyzing the eigenvalues of the Jacobian matrix at that point. If the eigenvalues are all negative, the equilibrium point is stable. If the eigenvalues are all positive, the equilibrium point is unstable. If there is a mix of positive and negative eigenvalues, the stability of the equilibrium point depends on the specific values of the eigenvalues.

4. How can I identify periodic solutions in a phase plane?

Periodic solutions are closed curves in the phase plane that represent repetitive behavior of the system. These solutions can be identified by looking for closed loops or limit cycles in the phase plane. The number of loops or cycles can also give insight into the period of the solution.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tips for sketching phase planes by hand?

One helpful tip for sketching phase planes by hand is to first identify the equilibrium points and their stability. This can help determine the overall behavior of the system and guide the placement of the arrows in the phase plane. Additionally, it can be helpful to plot a few key trajectories to get a better understanding of the direction and shape of the solution curves.