How to sketch harmonic component graph?

In summary, the conversation discusses an a.c. voltage with a fundamental voltage of 100 V rms at a frequency of 120 Hz, a 3rd harmonic at 20% of the fundamental, and a 5th harmonic at 10% of the fundamental and a phase angle of 1.2 radians lagging. The conversation also includes questions about expressing the voltage waveform, sketching the waveforms of the harmonic components, determining the voltage at 20 ms, and calculating the percentage error at 20 ms. There is also a discussion about how to properly draw the waveforms using the given equations.
ryanmcarthy

Homework Statement

An a.c. voltage, V, comprises of a fundamental voltage of 100 V rms at a frequency of 120 Hz, a 3rd harmonic which is 20% of the fundamental, a
5th harmonic which is 10% of the fundamental and at a phase angle of
1.2 radians lagging.

(i) Write down an expression for the voltage waveform.
(ii) Sketch the waveforms of the harmonic components.
(iii) Determine the voltage at 20 ms.
(iv) Given an ideal V = 100 V rms, what is the percentage error at 20 ms?Given:
V1 = 100 V rms
f = 120 Hz,
V3/V1 = 20% = 0.20
V5/V1 = 10% = 0.10
= 1.2 rad
t = 20 ms = 0.020 s

The Attempt at a Solution

(i) Completed(ii) the instantaneous values of third and fifth harmonic as function of time t , respectively
V3(t) = 28.28 cos(720∏ - t)
V5(t) = 14.14 cos (1200∏ - t +1.2)

How do you then draw the sketch the waveforms from the two above equations? I've seen the actual graph, but I am being really stupid here, as when I crunch the numbers into my calculator I don't get any where near the value I need?This is the graph I was told is correct off a friend, but I don't want to just draw it without knowing how as I won't learn that way

graph.jpg
Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ryanmcarthy said:
[
(ii) the instantaneous values of third and fifth harmonic as function of time t , respectively
V3(t) = 28.28 cos(720∏ - t)
V5(t) = 14.14 cos (1200∏ - t +1.2)

These V(t) functions are not correct. Recall the form of the function that describes a simple harmonic motion of given frequency.

ehild

Related to How to sketch harmonic component graph?

1. How do I determine the amplitude of each harmonic component in a graph?

To determine the amplitude of each harmonic component in a graph, you will need to identify the highest and lowest points of each wave and calculate the difference between them. This difference is the amplitude of that particular harmonic component.

2. What is the purpose of sketching a harmonic component graph?

The purpose of sketching a harmonic component graph is to visualize the different frequencies present in a signal and their relative amplitudes. This allows for a better understanding of the signal and can aid in analysis and troubleshooting.

3. How do I know which harmonics to include in my graph?

You can determine which harmonics to include in your graph by analyzing the frequency spectrum of the signal. The frequency spectrum will show the different frequencies present in the signal, and you can use this information to determine which harmonics are significant enough to include in your graph.

4. Can I sketch a harmonic component graph for any type of signal?

Yes, you can sketch a harmonic component graph for any periodic signal. This includes signals from electrical and mechanical systems, as well as sound and light waves. However, non-periodic signals do not have distinct harmonic components and therefore cannot be graphed in this manner.

5. How can I use a harmonic component graph to improve my data analysis?

A harmonic component graph can help you identify any dominant frequencies and their amplitudes in a signal. This information can be used to filter out unwanted noise and extract relevant data from the signal. It can also aid in detecting any abnormalities or irregularities in the signal, which can be useful for troubleshooting and improving data accuracy.