How to simplify behavior of a field-effect transistor

In summary: The first equation should be: IC = β×IBIn summary, the governing equations for FETs are different from those for BJTs. For BJTs, the equation is IC = β×IB, while for FETs, the equation is ID=ID,max*[1-(VGS/VP)²]. The transconductance for BJTs is dependent on the control function, while for FETs, it is the slope of the input-output relationship. Datasheets also provide multiple curves for FETs, unlike BJTs where only one curve is provided. The equations and characteristics of FETs vary depending on the type, such as MOSFET or JFET.
SupernerdSven
Are there simple governing equations for FETs like there are for BJTs, and if so, what are they? For example, in the BJT case we have
IC = β×IB
IE + IC + IB

I'm sure it depends on the type - MOSFET, JFET, etc. - so anything anyone could contribute would be helpful. From what I understand, the source-to-drain current is proportional to the gate voltage, so if it's linear it would be something like
IDS = β×VG

From what I've seen Googling IV curves, that's fairly close up until saturation. Am I off base here, or am I on the right track?

Engineering news on Phys.org
SupernerdSven said:
Are there simple governing equations for FETs like there are for BJTs, and if so, what are they? For example, in the BJT case we have
IC = β×IB
IE + IC + IB

I'm sure it depends on the type - MOSFET, JFET, etc. - so anything anyone could contribute would be helpful. From what I understand, the source-to-drain current is proportional to the gate voltage, so if it's linear it would be something like
IDS = β×VG

From what I've seen Googling IV curves, that's fairly close up until saturation. Am I off base here, or am I on the right track?

(a) BJT
The second equation should be: IE=IB+IC.
More than that, for the BJT you forgot the control function IC=Io*[exp(VBE/Vt)-1].
This equation is important because the slope of this function gives the transconductance g=IC/Vt.

(b) FET
Here, the input-output relationship (control function) is ID=ID,max*[1-(VGS/VP)²]
with VP: pinch-off or threshold voltage, respectively.
Again, the transconductance is the slope of this function: g=2*SQRT(ID*ID,max)/|VP| .

Or you just look up the characteristics in a data sheet:
IDVGS.jpg

the datasheet curve only works at one VDS value, usually they give you multiple curves

Thanks, everyone!
Baluncore: Wow, I must have missed that. Thanks for pointing it out!
LvW: Whoops, sorry about the typo. Yes, we only used the linear approximation in the class I took - we didn't need anything finer at the time. I appreciate your contribution!
Svein and donpacino: Thanks for pointing those out! Since I didn't feel that I knew enough about how I could use one, I hadn't looked into the datasheets much, but now I know what to expect.

donpacino said:
the datasheet curve only works at one VDS value, usually they give you multiple curves
Yes, but when I tried to copy from a real datasheet it was "protected". So for a real datasheet, search at On Semiconductor or Texas Instruments.

Sorry, I have to correct one of my formulas (post 3). The expression in the outer brackets [... ] must be sqared:
correct: ID=ID,max*[1-(VGS/VP)]²

Related to How to simplify behavior of a field-effect transistor

1. What is a field-effect transistor (FET)?

A field-effect transistor is a type of electronic device used to control the flow of current in a circuit. It consists of three terminals: a source, a drain, and a gate. The flow of current between the source and drain is controlled by the voltage applied to the gate terminal.

2. How does a field-effect transistor work?

A field-effect transistor works by creating an electric field in a channel between the source and drain terminals. This electric field controls the number of charge carriers (usually electrons) passing through the channel, thus regulating the current flow.

3. What are the different types of field-effect transistors?

There are two main types of field-effect transistors: the metal-oxide-semiconductor FET (MOSFET) and the junction FET (JFET). MOSFETs are the most commonly used type and have a layer of insulating material (usually silicon dioxide) between the gate and the channel. JFETs, on the other hand, have a PN junction between the gate and channel.

4. How can I simplify the behavior of a field-effect transistor in a circuit?

The behavior of a field-effect transistor can be simplified by using a small-signal model, which represents the transistor as an equivalent circuit with only a few key parameters. This model is particularly useful for analyzing the amplifier properties of the transistor.

5. What are some common applications of field-effect transistors?

Field-effect transistors are used in a wide range of electronic devices, including computers, mobile phones, and audio amplifiers. They are also commonly used in switching circuits, where they can quickly turn large currents on and off. Other applications include voltage regulators, oscillators, and digital logic gates.