How to Simplify and Find Power in a Circuit?

In summary, the conversation involved a discussion about simplifying a circuit and finding the power dissipated in the circuit. The attempt at a solution involved attempting to simplify the diagonal by making it parallel with other resistors, but this was not possible due to another branch coming off of the mutual junction of the 15 and 18 ohm resistors. The equivalent resistance for the circuit was found to be 10 Ω.
Paymemoney

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/9172/qns33.png

Simplifying the circuit?

Also find the power dissipated in the circuit?

Homework Equations

[tex]P=I^2R[/tex]

[tex]V=IR[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tired to simply the diagonal by making it parallel with (15+18ohms) and the (10+16ohms) and i get

[tex]R = (\frac{1}{33}+\frac{1}{48}+\frac{1}{16})^{-1} = 8.8ohms
[/tex]
Power of 15ohms is: [tex]1.3^2 * 15 = 25.35W[/tex]

Now how would i find the power dissipated for the rest of the resistors?

P.S

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Paymemoney said:

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/9172/qns33.png

I tried to simply the diagonal by making it parallel with (15+18ohms) and the (10+16ohms) and i get

[tex]R = (\frac{1}{33}+\frac{1}{48}+\frac{1}{16})^{-1} = 8.8ohms
[/tex]

The 48 Ω resistor is in parallel with the (10 Ω + 6 Ω ) combination.

[tex]\displaystyle R_{48,10,6}=\left({{1}\over{48}} + {{1}\over{16}} \right)^{-1}\Omega = 12\ \Omega[/tex]

This combination, [tex]\displaystyle R_{48,10,6}\,,[/tex] is in series with the 18 Ω resistor.

The 15 Ω resistor is in parallel with the combination of the other 4 resistors.

Last edited by a moderator:
So it will end up being 10ohms when you have simplified everything.

Paymemoney said:
I tired to simply the diagonal by making it parallel with (15+18ohms) and the (10+16ohms) and i get

Whoa! The 15 and 18 ohm resistors have another branch coming off of their mutual junction; They won't simplify to being simply in parallel.

Now, you *could* get fancy (and complicated) and use something called a Delta-Y transformation on resistors 15, 18, and 48, but it is not necessary if you spot the fact that the 10 and 6 ohm resistors are already alone in series, so that their sum parallels the 48 ohm resistor directly.

Paymemoney said:
So it will end up being 10ohms when you have simplified everything.

Yes. The equivalent resistance for the circuit is 10 Ω.

Related to How to Simplify and Find Power in a Circuit?

1. What is simplifying a circuit?

Simplifying a circuit is the process of reducing a complex circuit into a simpler one by using various techniques such as Ohm's law, Kirchhoff's laws, and series/parallel circuit rules. This allows for easier analysis and understanding of the circuit's behavior.

2. Why is it important to simplify a circuit?

Simplifying a circuit is important because it allows for easier troubleshooting, design, and analysis of electronic systems. It also helps in reducing the complexity and cost of the circuit.

3. What are some common techniques used for simplifying a circuit?

Some common techniques for simplifying a circuit include combining series and parallel resistors, using Thevenin's and Norton's theorem, and applying voltage and current division rules. Using these techniques can help reduce the number of components in a circuit and simplify its overall structure.

4. Can simplifying a circuit affect its performance?

Yes, simplifying a circuit can affect its performance. In some cases, simplifying a circuit can improve its performance by reducing losses and improving efficiency. However, in other cases, simplifying a circuit may result in a decrease in performance due to changes in voltage, current, or resistance values.

5. Is it possible to simplify any circuit?

Yes, it is possible to simplify any circuit. However, the level of simplification will vary depending on the complexity of the circuit and the techniques used. In some cases, a circuit may not be able to be simplified further without changing its overall functionality.