How to Simplify a Fraction with Cubed Roots in the Numerator and Denominator?

In summary: I assumed that the problem was in the title not in the body.In summary, the code you provided with math tags does not seem to work.
Elena1
Help to obtain a simple form of the following expression:

\(\displaystyle \frac{\sqrt[3]{a^2} -\sqrt[3]{ab}+\sqrt[3]{b}}{a+b}\)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello and welcome to MHB, Elena! :D

I have moved your thread here as this is a more appropriate place for your question. The "Introductions" sub-forum is where people may introduce themselves, by telling us a bit about themselves if they wish.

I have changed the thread title and edited the post so that the problem is in the body of the post, instead of the title.

Have I interpreted the problem correctly when I wrapped the code you provided with MATH tags?

In either case, can you show us what you have tried so far so we know where you are stuck and can provide better help?

i need help to solve this exercise

Elena said:
Help to obtain a simple form of the following expression:

\(\displaystyle \frac{\sqrt[3]{a^2} -\sqrt[3]{ab}+\sqrt[3]{b}}{a+b}\)

Hi Elena, welcome to MHB!:)

I suspect the expression should read

\(\displaystyle \frac{\sqrt[3]{a^2} -\sqrt[3]{ab}+\sqrt[3]{b^2}}{a+b}\)

Could you please check and post back if my intuition is correct?

yes it`s correct

I would suggest looking at the expansion:

\(\displaystyle \left(\sqrt[3]{a}+\sqrt[3]{b}\right)^3\)

to see if you can rewrite the denominator. :D

Perhaps you're not familiar with expanding a cube of a binomial?

I know this the cube root of $a$ and $b$ make the problem looks a bit intimidating, but you can try to make use of the substitution skill, such as what I would do below:

If we have to expand the cube of the binomial $x+y$, we see that

$\begin{align*}(x+y)^3&=(x+y)(x+y)(x+y)\\&=(x+y)(x^2+2xy+y^2)\\&=x(x^2+2xy+y^2)+y(x^2+2xy+y^2)\\&=x^3+2x^2y+xy^2+x^2y+2xy^2+y^3\\&=x^3+3x^2y+3xy^2+y^3\\&=x^3+3xy(x+y)+y^3\end{align*}$

Rewriting it to make $x^3+y^3$ the subject, and simplify the expression we get

$\begin{align*}x^3+y^3&=(x+y)^3-3xy(x+y)\\&=(x+y)((x+y)^2-3xy)\\&=(x+y)(x^2+2xy+y^2-3xy)\\&=(x+y)(x^2-xy+y^2)\end{align*}$

Now, if we let $x=\sqrt[3]{a}$ and $y=\sqrt[3]{b}$, the equation above becomes

$(\sqrt[3]{a})^3+(\sqrt[3]{b})^3=(\sqrt[3]{a}+\sqrt[3]{b})((\sqrt[3]{a})^2-\sqrt[3]{a}\sqrt[3]{b}+(\sqrt[3]{a})^2)$

This is just

$a+b=(\sqrt[3]{a}+\sqrt[3]{b})((\sqrt[3]{a})^2-\sqrt[3]{a}\sqrt[3]{b}+(\sqrt[3]{a})^2)$

Now, can you proceed?

thank you.after I was asked if I wrote correctly I said no, but actually I was wrong ... my mistake

Last edited:

Related to How to Simplify a Fraction with Cubed Roots in the Numerator and Denominator?

What is simplifying an expression?

Simplifying an expression is the process of rewriting a mathematical expression in its simplest or most compact form.

Why is simplifying an expression important?

Simplifying an expression allows for easier calculation and understanding of the expression. It also helps to identify patterns and relationships within the expression.

What are the basic rules for simplifying an expression?

The basic rules for simplifying an expression include combining like terms, using the distributive property, and applying the order of operations (PEMDAS).

Can all expressions be simplified?

No, not all expressions can be simplified. Some expressions may already be in their simplest form or may not have any common factors that can be combined.

How can I check if my simplified expression is correct?

You can check if your simplified expression is correct by substituting values for the variables and comparing the result to the original expression. If they are equal, then your simplified expression is correct.