How to show u x v in R^n space is orthogonal to u and v?

In summary, to define the cross product in R^n, one can use a generalization of the cross product in R^3, where it is defined as the oriented orthogonal complementary vector to the linear span of n-1 vectors. The length of this cross product is given by the volume of the block they span. Alternatively, one can use a numerical expression, such as the determinant of a matrix with the given vectors and a new vector as rows. In either case, the orthogonality follows from the properties of the determinant.
logan3
I had a problem where I showed that [itex]u \times v[/itex] in [itex]R^3[/itex] was orthogonal to [itex]u[/itex] and [itex]v[/itex]. I was wondering how I could show it for an [itex]R^n[/itex] space? Like, what is the notation/expression to represent a cross product in an [itex]R^n[/itex] space and how would I show that [itex]n[/itex]-number of coordinates cancel out?

Thank-you

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you define ##u \times v## in R^n?
With reasonable generalizations of the cross-product, you can show it in exactly the same way you do in R^3.

in n space one defines the cross product of n-1 vectors. It is non zero if and only if they are independent and then it is the oriented orthogonal complementary vector to their linear span, with length given by the volume of the block they span. thus if e1,...,en is an oriented orthonormal basis, the cross product of e1,...,en-1, is en.

mathwonk said:
in n space one defines the cross product of n-1 vectors. It is non zero if and only if they are independent and then it is the oriented orthogonal complementary vector to their linear span, with length given by the volume of the block they span. thus if e1,...,en is an oriented orthonormal basis, the cross product of e1,...,en-1, is en.

Notice however that this generalization has orthogonality explicitly being part of its definition. So this generalization probably doesn't help the OP except to give him the trivial answer (that it is so by definition).

It seemed to me he asked 2 questions, 1) define the n dimensional cross product, and 2) prove orthogonality. there are of course two possible definitions, one conceptual which explains the meaning of the construction, in which orthogonality is part of the definition, and second, a purely numerical definition, which conceals the meaning until one calculates the orthogonality by a dot product computation. I always prefer the conceptual definition as more helpful to understanding, but of course one should include a proof that it exists, which in this case seemed clear.

Nonetheless if you prefer a numerical expression, then you may use the usual determinant expression for the cross product, i.e. given n-1 vectors, v1,...,vn-1, define a linear function of a vector w by the determinant of the matrix with rows v1,...,vn-1,w. Then this function equals the dot product of w with a unique vector, called the cross product of the v's. The orthogonality then follows from the usual properties of the determinant, i.e. it is zero in this case if and only if w depends linearly on the v's.

(A purely numerical expression for the coefficients of the cross product in terms of the coefficients of the v's is obtained by expanding formally the determinant with the v's in the first n-1 rows and the unit vectors e1,...,en as entries in the last row. Only a masochist would prove the orthogonality by then taking the n-1 dot products.)

Last edited:

Related to How to show u x v in R^n space is orthogonal to u and v?

1. How do I show that u x v is orthogonal to u and v in R^n space?

To show that u x v is orthogonal to u and v in R^n space, you need to use the definition of orthogonality, which states that two vectors are orthogonal if their dot product is equal to 0. In this case, you will need to take the dot product of u x v with both u and v. If the dot products are both 0, then u x v is orthogonal to u and v.

2. What is the cross product and how does it relate to orthogonality?

The cross product, denoted by u x v, is a vector that is perpendicular to both u and v. This means that the cross product is orthogonal to both u and v. The magnitude of the cross product is equal to the area of the parallelogram formed by u and v, and the direction of the cross product is given by the right-hand rule.

3. Can you provide an example of showing u x v is orthogonal to u and v in R^3 space?

Let u = [1, 2, 3] and v = [4, 5, 6]. To find u x v, we can use the formula [u1, u2, u3] x [v1, v2, v3] = [u2v3 - u3v2, u3v1 - u1v3, u1v2 - u2v1]. Substituting the values, we get u x v = [-3, 6, -3]. To show that u x v is orthogonal to u and v, we can take the dot product of u x v with u and v. We get u x v . u = -3 + 12 + -9 = 0 and u x v . v = -12 + 30 + -18 = 0. Therefore, u x v is orthogonal to u and v in R^3 space.

4. Is the cross product commutative?

No, the cross product is not commutative. This means that u x v is not equal to v x u. The cross product follows the right-hand rule, which means that the direction of the resulting vector is dependent on the order of the vectors. In other words, the order in which the vectors are multiplied matters.

5. Can u x v be orthogonal to u and v in R^2 space?

No, u x v can only be orthogonal to u and v in R^n space where n is greater than or equal to 3. This is because in R^2 space, there is only one possible direction for a vector to be perpendicular to both u and v, which is the zero vector. However, the cross product always results in a non-zero vector, so it cannot be orthogonal to u and v in R^2 space.