How to show the ground state is orthagnol with the first in a quantum harmonic os

In summary, the question is asking to show that the ground state and first excited state wave functions of a quantum harmonic oscillator are orthogonal. The approach is to integrate the complex conjugate of one wave function multiplied by the other from negative to positive infinity. The correct equation for the first excited state wave function is provided and the integration should be done from -infinity to infinity.
leoflindall
How to show the ground state is orthagnol with the first in a quantum harmonic os...

Homework Statement

This is a revision question for an upcoming quantum mechanics exam, that i am stuck on. Any help or idea at how to approach the question would be greatly appreciated, i get the feeling it is quite easy and I am just missing something!

Harmonic Oscillator.

Show that the ground state is orthagonol to the first excited state wave function.

[tex]\psi[/tex][tex]_{0}[/tex] (x) = [tex]\sqrt{\frac{1}{b\sqrt{\Pi}}}[/tex] e [tex]^{\frac{-x^{2}}{2b^{2}}}[/tex]

[tex]\psi[/tex][tex]_{1}[/tex] (x) = [tex]\sqrt{}\frac{2}{b^{3} \sqrt{\Pi}}[/tex] e [tex]^{\frac{-x^{2}}{2b^{2}}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that you have to work out the overlap by intergrating between the limits of +/- infinity of the complex conjugate of one wavefunction multiplied by the other. I don't get zero when i do this.

In this case is [tex]\psi[/tex][tex]_{1}[/tex] (x) * = [tex]\psi[/tex][tex]_{1}[/tex] (x) ?

Or is since the wave functions are in a harmonic osscilator that the limits of the intergral should be [0,L]?

Kind regards

Leo

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

You have the wrong equation for [tex]\psi^1[/tex]. See http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/quantum/hosc5.html#c1" for the correct wave functions. You should be integrating from -infinity to infinity though because the standard quantum harmonic oscillator doesn't have finite bounds on it. And yes, you should be integrating one function versus the Hermitian conjugate of the other.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to How to show the ground state is orthagnol with the first in a quantum harmonic os

1. How do you determine the ground state in a quantum harmonic oscillator?

The ground state in a quantum harmonic oscillator is the lowest possible energy state of the system. It can be determined by solving the Schrodinger equation for the harmonic oscillator potential and finding the eigenstate with the lowest energy.

2. What is the significance of the ground state in a quantum harmonic oscillator?

The ground state represents the most stable and lowest energy state of the system. It serves as a reference point for measuring the energy of other states in the system and plays a crucial role in understanding the quantum behavior of the oscillator.

3. How do you show that the ground state is orthogonal to the first excited state?

The orthogonality of two states can be shown by calculating their inner product. In this case, the inner product of the ground state and first excited state of a quantum harmonic oscillator is equal to zero, indicating that they are orthogonal to each other.

4. Why is it important to show that the ground state is orthogonal to the first excited state?

The orthogonality of states is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and plays a crucial role in calculating probabilities of different states and understanding the behavior of quantum systems. By showing that the ground state is orthogonal to the first excited state, we can demonstrate that these two states are mutually exclusive and do not interfere with each other.

5. Are there any real-life applications of understanding the orthogonality of states in a quantum harmonic oscillator?

Yes, understanding the orthogonality of states in a quantum harmonic oscillator is essential in many real-life applications, including quantum computing, quantum cryptography, and quantum sensing. It also has implications in fields such as chemistry, materials science, and nanotechnology.