How to show that the motion graph of a linear oscillator is an ellipse.

In summary, the motion of a linear oscillator may be represented by means of a graph in which x is abscissa and dx/dt as ordinate. The histroy of the oscillator is then a curve which is an ellipse if no damping is applied, and spiraling into origin if a damping curve is introduced.
RockenNS42

Homework Statement

The motion of a linear oscillator may be represented by means of a graph in which x is abscissa and dx/dt as ordinate. The histroy of the oscillator is then a curve
a)show that for an undamped oscillator this curve is an ellipse
b) show (at least qualitatively) that if a damping curve is introduced on gets a curve spiraling into origin.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I got that
x(t)=Asin(wt-α)
v(t)=wAcos(wt-α)
Another student told me to "elimate the t's" to get
x2/A2 +X2/(Aw)2 =1
and that is total energy is E=1/2KA2 and w2=k/m then
x2/(2E/k) +X2/(2E/m) =1First of all, I don't under stand how eliminated his t's. I do get that he found the eq of an ellipse, but how do I go from an eq with X and w to one with x and dx/dt?

b)I have no sweet clue

Physics news on Phys.org
I suspect that his answer should read

[tex]
\frac{x^2}{A^2} + \frac{v^2}{A^2w^2} = 1
[/tex]

To arrive at this rearrange the x and v equations so that only the sin and cosine functions are left on the right hand side. Then square both equations and add. \

For part b you will want to add a damping constant to the equation of motion:

[tex]
m \frac{d^2x}{dt^2} = -kx - c \frac{dx}{dt}
[/tex]

You will need to find solutions to this equation. From there you can find v, and plot x vs v.

mjordan2nd said:
I suspect that his answer should read

[tex]
\frac{x^2}{A^2} + \frac{v^2}{A^2w^2} = 1
[/tex]

To arrive at this rearrange the x and v equations so that only the sin and cosine functions are left on the right hand side. Then square both equations and add. \

For part b you will want to add a damping constant to the equation of motion:

[tex]
m \frac{d^2x}{dt^2} = -kx - c \frac{dx}{dt}
[/tex]

You will need to find solutions to this equation. From there you can find v, and plot x vs v.

Ok a) makes total sense now
b) In is c the damping constant? (we're using b) we have found in class that the solution to his comes in the fourm Aej(pt+α) is this what you mean?

Yep, that's what I'm talking about.

mjordan2nd said:
Yep, that's what I'm talking about.

Ok then but I am still not sure where v is going to come from...

Once you solve for x(t) then the velocity is just the derivative.

Oh right. I get it. Thanks a lot :)

Related to How to show that the motion graph of a linear oscillator is an ellipse.

1. How can I determine if a motion graph is that of a linear oscillator?

In order to determine if a motion graph is that of a linear oscillator, you can look for a characteristic pattern of back and forth motion that repeats itself over time. This pattern is known as simple harmonic motion and is a defining feature of linear oscillators.

2. What is the significance of an ellipse in the motion graph of a linear oscillator?

An ellipse in the motion graph of a linear oscillator represents the displacement of the oscillator from its equilibrium position over time. The shape of the ellipse can also provide information about the amplitude and frequency of the oscillation.

3. How can I prove that a motion graph of a linear oscillator is an ellipse?

To prove that a motion graph is an ellipse, you can use mathematical equations and principles, such as the equation for simple harmonic motion and the Pythagorean theorem. By plugging in the values for the amplitude, frequency, and time, you can show that the graph follows the equation of an ellipse.

4. Are all linear oscillators represented by an ellipse in their motion graph?

No, not all linear oscillators have an elliptical motion graph. Some may have a sinusoidal or triangular motion graph, depending on the specific characteristics and properties of the oscillator.

5. Can a linear oscillator have an elliptical motion graph if it is not in simple harmonic motion?

No, an oscillator must be in simple harmonic motion in order to have an elliptical motion graph. If it is not in simple harmonic motion, then the motion graph will not follow the characteristic pattern of an ellipse.