How to show that motion of a rigid body = translation + rotation

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of rigid body motion being composed of a rotation and a translation. The question at hand is how to prove this using two different configurations of a rigid body in space. The suggested approach is to show that the motion can be transformed by a combination of translation and rotation. Different methods, such as using the center of mass or matrix operations, are proposed to find the rotation constructively. The conversation also mentions the properties of the transformation matrix and Euler's theorem as important concepts in proving the relationship between rigid body motion and rotation and translation.
martin_blckrs
We all learn in the introductory mechanics class that the motion of a rigid body can be composed of a rotation and a translation. But how can one prove this? I mean: Let us have some rigid body in two configurations in space, how can I show that I can transform one configuration to another by just a translation and rotation?
I could take the two configurations to have the same center of mass or any other point by a translation. But how do I then find the rotation (constructively)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Configuration?...what do you exactly mean by it?

Well, I mean position, i.e. I have two copies of the same rigid body somewhere in the space and I want to find a transformation (composed of translation and rotation) taking the first copy to the second.

do you mean 2 different bodies(rigid) in space in different positions?
and what do you mean rotation constructively?

Go into the center of mass' system, so it doesn't move. Try to show that for the body to be rigid, the distance of a point to the center of mass must stay the same. Then you can show that this is only the case for rotations around the center of mass. Finally show that two points must rotate around the same axis and the same angle so their distance doesn't change either --> this implies that all points rotate around the same axis and angle.

This is what I would do.

monty37 said:
do you mean 2 different bodies(rigid) in space in different positions?

yes

monty37 said:
and what do you mean rotation constructively?

The question was how do I find the rotation constructively = how do I construct such a rotation.

0xDEADBEEF said:
Go into the center of mass' system, so it doesn't move. Try to show that for the body to be rigid, the distance of a point to the center of mass must stay the same. Then you can show that this is only the case for rotations around the center of mass. Finally show that two points must rotate around the same axis and the same angle so their distance doesn't change either --> this implies that all points rotate around the same axis and angle.

This is what I would do.

Well, this is nice, but the problem is that you just show that if there exists such a transformation, it must be a rotation. What I'm trying to see is that such a rotation actually exists.

You're asking to transform motion of one copy to the other...right?

Or is it that you're assuming one of the copies to have rotational motion, and the other translational?...and THEN trying to transform the frames.

dE_logics said:
You're asking to transform motion of one copy to the other...right?

I don't want to transform motion. I want to transform space configuration (i.e. position) of one copy to another, i.e. given the two copies I want to find a transformation = rotation + translation such that it brings me from one copy to another.

Maybe using matrix operations could help. You can represent the rigid body as a collection of particles with a rigid bar connection between the particles. This bar can be represented as a vector in space and the particles as coordinates. From here, it is easy to construct equivalent translation (addition of a vector) and a rotation (matrix product with a rotation matrix).

So the question is, given a simple rigid body, an arbitrary 3D vector pointing from the origin to some point, show that you can decompose any general transformation into the the combination of a translation and rotation. The problem isn't unique though but perhaps you can setup the appropriate matrix equation (Ax=b) and show that the system has a solution?

martin_blckrs said:
We all learn in the introductory mechanics class that the motion of a rigid body can be composed of a rotation and a translation. But how can one prove this? I mean: Let us have some rigid body in two configurations in space, how can I show that I can transform one configuration to another by just a translation and rotation?
I could take the two configurations to have the same center of mass or any other point by a translation. But how do I then find the rotation (constructively)?

Hi Martin! :smile:

Take any three non-collinear points A B and C, fixed in the rigid body.

Move A to new-A. New-B lies on a sphere of the correct radius with centre at new-A, so use any rotation of that sphere to move B to new-B. New-C lies on a cylinder of the correct radius with axis new-A-new-B, so use any rotation about that axis to move C to New-C. Finally confirm that any other point is in the right place. :wink:

martin_blckrs said:

The first step is to recognize that the rigid body in two different configurations is equivalent to a coordinate transformation- going from a 'reference' set of coordinates (x,y,z if you like) to a set of coordinates that move with the body. The 'transformation matrix' that transforms one configuration to another has certain specific properties including noncommutivity (AB != BA), invertibility, orthogonality, and a few others- an important one is that reflections (coordiante inversions) are not allowed.

Euler's theorem then states that the general displacement of a rigid body with one point fixed is a rotation about some axis. This plus a linear translation, then gives the most general displacement of a rigid body.

Related to How to show that motion of a rigid body = translation + rotation

1. How can the motion of a rigid body be broken down into translation and rotation?

The motion of a rigid body can be broken down into translation and rotation by considering each point on the body as having both linear and angular motion. The linear motion is the translation, or movement in a straight line, while the angular motion is the rotation, or movement around a fixed point.

2. What is translation in the context of rigid body motion?

Translation in the context of rigid body motion refers to the linear movement of the entire body in a straight line without any change in orientation. This can be thought of as the body shifting from one point to another without any rotation.

3. How is rotation defined in the context of rigid body motion?

Rotation in the context of rigid body motion refers to the movement of the body around a fixed point. This can be seen as the body turning or spinning on an axis, with each point on the body moving in a circular path around the fixed point.

4. Why is it important to understand the translation and rotation components of rigid body motion?

Understanding the translation and rotation components of rigid body motion is important because it allows for a more accurate analysis and prediction of the body's movement. By breaking down the motion into these two components, we can better understand how the body will move and how external forces will affect it.

5. What are some real-life examples of rigid body motion that involve both translation and rotation?

There are many real-life examples of rigid body motion that involve both translation and rotation. Some common examples include a spinning top, a rolling wheel, a swinging pendulum, or a person throwing a ball. In each of these scenarios, the body experiences both linear and angular motion simultaneously.