How to show that a 4-polytope is a tiling of the 3-sphere

• I
  • Thread starter t_r_theta_phi
  • Start date
In summary: But I am not sure how to determine this based on the numbers of elements alone.In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of determining if a 4-polytope is a tiling of the 3-sphere based solely on the numbers of its vertices, edges, faces, and cells. A specific example is given with two polytopes, one being a tesseract and the other a disjoint union of two tesseracts, both with an Euler characteristic of 0. The conversation also touches on the difficulty of determining this fact based on numbers alone and the potential significance of finding the ratios of the numbers of each type of element in a regular 4-polytope.
t_r_theta_phi
Is there a way to figure out if a 4-polytope is a tiling of the 3-sphere based on only the number of vertices, edges, faces, and cells?

Here is a specific example. Say that there are two "polytopes" - one is a tesseract, and one is a disjoint union of two tesseracts. Both will have an Euler characteristic of 0, but single tesseract is homeomorphic to a 3-sphere and the pair of tesseracts is not. Is there a way to figure out this fact based only on the number of vertices, edges, faces, and cells in each polytope?

In three dimensions the analogous problem could be easily solved because the single polyhedron would have an Euler characteristic of 2 and the disjoint union would have a characteristic of 4.

I'm not quite sure my terminology is correct but I gave it a try.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
t_r_theta_phi said:
Is there a way to figure out if a 4-polytope is a tiling of the 3-sphere based on only the number of vertices, edges, faces, and cells?

Here is a specific example. Say that there are two "polytopes" - one is a tesseract, and one is a disjoint union of two tesseracts. Both will have an Euler characteristic of 0, but single tesseract is homeomorphic to a 3-sphere and the pair of tesseracts is not. Is there a way to figure out this fact based only on the number of vertices, edges, faces, and cells in each polytope?

In three dimensions the analogous problem could be easily solved because the single polyhedron would have an Euler characteristic of 2 and the disjoint union would have a characteristic of 4.

I'm not quite sure my terminology is correct but I gave it a try.

Not sure if this helps.

Consider a tiling of a circle as a triangle - 3 vertices, 3 edges (Euler characteristic zero). Two disjoint triangles have six vertices and six edges. Subdivide the triangle by adding a vertex in the interior of each line segment. This is a second tiling of the circle. It also has six vertices and six edges.

Last edited:
I see. So 6 vertices and 6 edges can correspond to different structures, so it is not possible to differentiate between the them based on numbers of elements alone.

As you mentioned in your example, for the triangular tiling there exists a tiling with double the number of elements that also tiles the circle. However, as far as I know, it is not like that with my tesseract example. 16 vertices, 32 edges, 24 square faces, and 8 cubic cells is a valid tiling of the 3-sphere, but 32 vertices, 64 edges, 48 square faces, and 16 cubic cells is not. If it were, wouldn't it correspond to a new regular polytope? In other words, since both have the same type of elements, what is it about the number of elements in the tesseract that makes it a tiling of the 3-sphere? I have a feeling that this is much more complicated than I originally thought.

The reason I am asking this is because I found a way to find the ratios of the numbers of each type of element in a regular 4-polytope given its Schlafli symbol. The ratios can be found by knowing how many of each type of element must connect to every other type of element, and then correcting for overcounting. I am wondering how this ratio corresponds to the actual number of elements in the polytope. Wouldn't the extra condition be that the polytope must correspond to a tiling of the 3-sphere?

Last edited:
I don't know anything about regular polytopes so without some research I can't comment. If you want to explain then we can try to figure it out together.

Last edited:
For any given polytope, imagine we know the information about its structure but not any of the actual numbers of vertices, edges, faces, etc. Let's say we want to find the number of type A elements (could be vertices, cells, anything) in terms of the number of type B elements. This is given by:

A = (# of A connected to each B) * B / ( # of B connected to each A)

The denominator corrects for overcounting.

Consider a cube for example. There are 3 E connected to each V, and 2 V connected to each E. Therefore

E = 3/2 V

Using this same method we can find

F = 3/4 V

Using the identity V - E + F = 2,

V = 8, E = 12, and F = 6.

-----------------------------

For the 4-dimensional tesseract we can use the same method to find

E = 2 V, F = 3/2 V, and C = 1/2 V

However, Euler's identity V - E + F - C = 0 holds no matter what V actually is. The actual numbers of elements cannot be found from this method alone.

There are many topological spaces that have an Euler characteristic of 0, so I am guessing that the missing condition is that the polytope must correspond to a tiling of the 3-sphere.

Last edited:

Related to How to show that a 4-polytope is a tiling of the 3-sphere

1. How can I determine if a 4-polytope is a tiling of the 3-sphere?

To determine if a 4-polytope is a tiling of the 3-sphere, you will need to check if it meets the following criteria:

• Every vertex must have a symmetry group isomorphic to the octahedral group.
  • Every edge must have a symmetry group isomorphic to the dihedral group D4.
  • The faces must be congruent regular tetrahedra.
  • The 4-polytope must have no boundary.
If all of these conditions are met, then the 4-polytope can be considered a tiling of the 3-sphere.

2. What is a 4-polytope?

A 4-polytope, also known as a 4-dimensional polytope, is a geometric figure with four dimensions. It is the four-dimensional analogue of a polygon (2D) or a polyhedron (3D). A 4-polytope can be described as a collection of vertices, edges, faces, and cells in four-dimensional space that are connected in a specific way.

3. What is a tiling of the 3-sphere?

A tiling of the 3-sphere is a way to divide the three-dimensional surface of a sphere into congruent, non-overlapping parts. These parts, or tiles, must cover the entire surface of the sphere with no gaps or overlaps. This is similar to how a regular polygon can be tiled on a flat surface, except the 3-sphere is a curved space.

4. How do symmetries play a role in determining if a 4-polytope is a tiling of the 3-sphere?

Symmetries play a crucial role in determining if a 4-polytope is a tiling of the 3-sphere. The symmetries of a 4-polytope are represented by its symmetry groups, which describe the different ways the polytope can be rotated, reflected, or translated without changing its overall shape. For a 4-polytope to be a tiling of the 3-sphere, its symmetries must meet specific criteria, as mentioned in the first question.

5. Are there other ways to show that a 4-polytope is a tiling of the 3-sphere?

Yes, there are other methods to show that a 4-polytope is a tiling of the 3-sphere besides checking its symmetries. One approach is to use the Euler characteristic, which is a topological invariant that can be used to determine if a polytope is a tiling of a specific space. Another method is to use geometric constructions and transformations to create the 4-polytope and show that it satisfies the criteria for a tiling of the 3-sphere. Additionally, computer simulations and mathematical proofs can also be used to demonstrate that a 4-polytope is a tiling of the 3-sphere.