How to show if a given array of numbers is a vector?

In summary, the author discusses an example of an array of two numbers that is not considered a vector unless the two numbers are equal. The concept of a vector is dependent on the specific vector space it belongs to and cannot be defined without that context. The author also mentions the importance of preserving length after rotation, which is a characteristic of tensors.
shinobi20

Homework Statement

I'm reading Zee's book Einstein Gravity, I'm in the section where he said that given an array of two numbers p=(ap1, bp2), it is not a vector unless a=b. He just stated it without really showing how it must be like that. I know that a vector should satisfy a transformation p'=R(θ)p with R as the rotation matrix.

In the exercises he also asked to prove that (p2q3, p3q1, p1q2) is not a vector by checking how it transforms under rotation.

Homework Equations

p'=R(θ)p with R as the rotation matrix

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first part, p'=Rp yields (ap1cosθ - bp2sinθ, ap1sinθ + bp2cosθ). I'm not sure what this is implying.

Physics news on Phys.org
The question cannot be answered without a great deal more context which, from the sound of it, may need to be the whole containing chapter.

A vector is an element of a vector space, and is defined in relation to that space. To say something is a vector without the context of knowing what vector space we are talking about is like saying a person is a 'member'. A member of what?

Any object can be turned into a vector by constructing a vector space around it, using it as a basis element.

An ordered pair of real numbers is trivially an element of the vector space ##\mathbb{R}^2##, but I doubt that's what the author is talking about.

The author wants to show that it is not a vector if it doesn't preserve the length after rotation. This is tensors actually.

Related to How to show if a given array of numbers is a vector?

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude (size or length) and direction. It is often represented as an array of numbers.

2. How do you determine if an array of numbers is a vector?

To determine if an array of numbers is a vector, you need to check if it satisfies two conditions: it must have both magnitude and direction, and it must follow the rules of vector addition and scalar multiplication.

3. What are the rules of vector addition and scalar multiplication?

The rules of vector addition state that vectors can be added together by adding their corresponding components. Scalar multiplication involves multiplying each component of the vector by a scalar (a single number).

4. Can an array with only one number be considered a vector?

No, an array with only one number cannot be considered a vector because it does not have direction. A vector must have at least two numbers to represent both magnitude and direction.

5. What is the difference between a vector and a scalar?

A vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude and direction, while a scalar is a single number that represents only magnitude. In other words, a vector is a directed quantity, while a scalar is an undirected quantity.