How to show a wave function satisfies the shrodinger eqn

In summary, the time-independent Schrodinger equation is satisfied by energy eigenstates, which are states that have a definite energy. A general wavefunction can be written as a linear combination of two energy eigenstates, but it does not satisfy the time-independent Schrodinger equation. This is because the wavefunction does not have a definite energy and cannot predict the energy of a particle with certainty.
richyw

Homework Statement

If a state is a linear combination of two energy eigenstates, does its wavefunction satisfy the time independent shrodinger equation? I guess in general, how would I show if the wavefunctions of a state does or does not satisfy the time-independent schrodinger equation?

Homework Equations

[tex]H\left| E \right\rangle=E\left|E\right\rangle[/tex]
[tex]\psi_\alpha(x)=\left\langle x |\alpha\right\rangle[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly have no idea what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
to start with, what is the time-independent Schrodinger equation?

BruceW said:
to start with, what is the time-independent Schrodinger equation?

richyw said:

Homework Statement

If a state is a linear combination of two energy eigenstates, does its wavefunction satisfy the time independent shrodinger equation? I guess in general, how would I show if the wavefunctions of a state does or does not satisfy the time-independent schrodinger equation?

Homework Equations

[tex]\psi_\alpha(x)=\left\langle x |\alpha\right\rangle[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly have no idea what to do.

Okay, first of all, by analogy with eigenvectors/values, an energy eigenstate is just a state (wavefunction) for which this is true: when you apply the Hamiltonian operator to it, you just get a constant (the eigenvalue, E) multiplied by it. So, if |E> is an energy eigenstate, then:$$H|E\rangle = E|E\rangle$$So energy eigenstates are states that satisfy the time-independent Schrodinger equation (which is the eigenvalue equation for the Hamiltonian).

Now, suppose we have two such eigenstates ##|E_1\rangle## and ##|E_2\rangle##. Since they are energy eigenstates, they must each separately satisfy the eigenvalue equation. So: ##H|E_1\rangle = E|E_1\rangle## AND ##H|E_2\rangle = E|E_2\rangle##

Now suppose we have a more general state ##|\psi\rangle## that is a linear combination of ##|E_1\rangle## and ##|E_2\rangle##:$$|\psi\rangle = \textrm{some combination of}~|E_1\rangle~\textrm{and}~|E_2\rangle$$What does it mean for psi to be a linear combination of the two eigenstates? I.e. what is a linear combination? I.e. can you fill in the right-hand side of the above equation?

Based on your answer to the above, what happens when you apply the Hamiltonian operator to psi? ##H|\psi\rangle =~?##

cepheid said:
What does it mean for psi to be a linear combination of the two eigenstates? I.e. what is a linear combination? I.e. can you fill in the right-hand side of the above equation?

ok if I have two states [itex]\left| a\right\rangle[/itex] and [itex]\left| b\right\rangle[/itex] and they are energy eigenstates with energies [itex]E_a[/itex] and [itex]E_b[/itex], then a general linear combination of these states would be [tex]\left| \psi \right \rangle = c_1\left| a\right\rangle+c_2\left| b\right\rangle[/tex]

so if I wanted to show that the wavefunction [itex]\phi(x)=\left\langle x|\psi\right\rangle[/itex] satisfied the SE, how would I do this, and how would I find its eigenvalue?

(in response to post 5) yep. so does psi satisfy the time-independent Schrodinger equation? i.e. what happens when you use the Hamiltonian operator on psi?

richyw said:
ok if I have two states [itex]\left| a\right\rangle[/itex] and [itex]\left| b\right\rangle[/itex] and they are energy eigenstates with energies [itex]E_a[/itex] and [itex]E_b[/itex], then a general linear combination of these states would be [tex]\left| \psi \right \rangle = c_1\left| a\right\rangle+c_2\left| b\right\rangle[/tex]

Yeah, that's right. That is a linear combination. So what happens when you apply H to this state? Remember that H is a linear operator.

[tex]H\left| \psi \right \rangle = H\left( c_1\left| a\right\rangle+c_2\left| b\right\rangle\right)[/tex]
[tex]H\left| \psi \right \rangle = c_1 H\left| a\right\rangle+c_2H\left| b\right\rangle[/tex]
[tex]H\left| \psi \right \rangle = c_1 E_1\left| a\right\rangle+c_2E_2\left| b\right\rangle[/tex]

the part that is really messing me up is the "wave equation" part.

yep nice. so is this the same as the time-independent Schrodinger equation for the state psi?

I guess?

you said the time-independent Schrodinger is ##H|E\rangle = E|E\rangle## and for your situation, you have the state psi, so does psi fit this equation?

I have no idea.

richyw said:
I have no idea.

What BruceW is saying is that for psi to satisfy the time-independent Schrodinger equation, it would have to be true that ##H|\psi\rangle = E|\psi\rangle## where E is *some constant.* Look at your above result for ##H|\psi\rangle##. Is it equal to "some constant" multiplied by psi?

cepheid said:
What BruceW is saying is that for psi to satisfy the time-independent Schrodinger equation, it would have to be true that ##H|\psi\rangle = E|\psi\rangle## where E is *some constant.* Look at your above result for ##H|\psi\rangle##. Is it equal to "some constant" multiplied by psi?

no? I don't think it is?

richyw said:
no? I don't think it is?

The answer is indeed no. But why aren't you sure about your answer? This is math after all, there is a definite answer. So don't guess, do the algebra. Take your psi and multiply it by some constant C (or E, or whatever). Is this the same as what you got for H|psi>?

are there any cases where it would be though? like what if one of the constants is imaginary, or if the two constants are equal?

Use a more physical argument to motivate your answer: eigenstates (of the Hamiltonian) are states of definite energy. So if the particle is in an eigenstate, a measurement of its energy is sure to yield the same answer always. But if the particle is in a linear combination of two eigenstates, can this wavefunction psi tell you with certainty what the energy will be, or can it only tell you about the probability of measuring a given value? Based on that, would you expect the linear combination of two eigenstates to also be an eigenstate, or not?

Likes 1 person
richyw said:
are there any cases where it would be though? like what if one of the constants is imaginary, or if the two constants are equal?

If the constants are equal (i.e. two distinct states have the same value -- they are said to be degenerate states), then yes, it would work. Their linear combination would also be an eigenstate with that same energy.

Related to How to show a wave function satisfies the shrodinger eqn

1. What is the Schrodinger equation?

The Schrodinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes how the wave function of a physical system evolves over time. It is named after Austrian physicist Erwin Schrodinger and is written in terms of the Hamiltonian operator, which represents the total energy of the system.

2. How do you determine if a wave function satisfies the Schrodinger equation?

To show that a wave function satisfies the Schrodinger equation, you must plug the wave function into the equation and simplify. If the resulting equation is equivalent to the original Schrodinger equation, then the wave function satisfies it. This involves using mathematical techniques such as differentiation and integration.

3. What are the physical implications of a wave function satisfying the Schrodinger equation?

If a wave function satisfies the Schrodinger equation, it means that it accurately describes the behavior and evolution of a physical system. This can provide insight into the energy levels, probabilities, and other properties of the system. It also allows for predictions to be made about the system's behavior under different conditions.

4. What happens if a wave function does not satisfy the Schrodinger equation?

If a wave function does not satisfy the Schrodinger equation, it means that it does not accurately describe the behavior of the physical system. This could be due to errors in the mathematical calculations or the wave function itself not accurately representing the system. In this case, the wave function would need to be modified or a different approach would need to be taken to accurately describe the system.

5. Why is it important for a wave function to satisfy the Schrodinger equation?

The Schrodinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics and plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of physical systems at the atomic and subatomic level. It is important for a wave function to satisfy the Schrodinger equation because it ensures that the description of the system is accurate and consistent with the principles of quantum mechanics. This allows for more accurate predictions and insights into the behavior of the system.