How to shift a focal point af an objective

In summary, the person is asking for help with their optical system which has a 50mm focal length objective and a CCD camera that can only be mounted a short distance away. They want to adjust the focal point of the objective to be 1-2 cm behind its original focal point. One solution suggested is to add a negative lens in "series" to increase the focal length, but this may affect image coverage and sharpness. The person is open to other solutions, such as using a positive lens or a system with two convex lenses.
martim
Hi, i have a simple optical system composed of:

1. objective with 50 mm focal lenght

2. CCD camera that can not be mounted behind the objective, for mechanical reasons... it can only be mounted 1-2 cm far behind the objective.

So i need to "translate" the focal point of the objective 1-2 cm behind the ojcetive original focal point.

How can i do this?? Have i two use one or at least two lenses?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
You can add a negative lens in "series" to increase the focal length. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lens_(optics ) "compound lenses". But this will change the image coverage, just like putting a telephoto lens on your camera, and -- maybe you don't care -- likely reduce the sharpness a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, thanks for your answer... a reduction of the sharpness is not a problem...

A question: why a negative lens? I though about two solutions (but maybe the are not the best choice...)

1. a positive lens (diam. 6 - 10 mm) with a focal as shot as possible... few millimeters, posizioned symmetrycally between the focus of the objective and the CCD... to maintain the 1:1 magnification

2. a system comped by two piano convex lenses

what is, in your opinion, the best solution?

bye!

Related to How to shift a focal point af an objective

1. How do I shift the focal point of an objective?

To shift the focal point of an objective, you will need to adjust the position of the objective lens. This can usually be done by turning a knob or dial on the microscope. Refer to your microscope's manual for specific instructions.

2. Why would I need to shift the focal point of an objective?

You may need to shift the focal point of an objective in order to view different areas of a specimen or to achieve a clearer image. It can also be useful for focusing on different layers of a sample in microscopy.

3. How do I know if I have shifted the focal point correctly?

To ensure that you have shifted the focal point correctly, you can use the fine focus adjustment knob to sharpen the image. If the image becomes clearer, then you have successfully shifted the focal point.

4. Can I shift the focal point while viewing a sample?

Yes, you can shift the focal point while viewing a sample. However, it is important to be careful and make small adjustments to avoid losing focus completely. It may also be helpful to use lower magnifications while shifting the focal point.

5. Is it necessary to shift the focal point for every objective?

Yes, it is necessary to shift the focal point for each objective as they have different magnifications and focal lengths. Shifting the focal point allows you to properly focus on your sample at different magnifications.