How to set up the balance equation

In summary, the individual is seeking help understanding problems 7-2 and 7-3, which involve applying equations and including ice in the balance equation. In problem 7-2, there is a containment system at a given volume and pressure, and if there is a rupture in the primary system, there must be enough ice to cool the liquid water and prevent the pressure from exceeding a certain limit. The ice must heat up, melt, and reach equilibrium with the primary water. However, the individual is struggling with how to include the ice in the balance equation and the concept of fusion heat.
matt222
Untitled.jpg

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/33615

Untitledx.jpg
I have problem with these two questions, can you give me a hint and help to understand it, I do understand problem 7-3 but i have problem with applying the equastion, I don't understand to 7-2 but i knw we have to have an addition term for the ice in the given balance equastion, can anyone help me with it

here its sorry

Attachments

• Untitledcc.jpg
    Untitledcc.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 455
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org

matt222 said:
I have problem with these two questions, can you give me a hint and help to understand it, I do understand problem 7-3 but i have problem with applying the equastion, I don't understand to 7-2 but i knw we have to have an addition term for the ice in the given balance equastion, can anyone help me with it
I don't see problem 7-2.

the attachment corrected

In 7-2, there is containment at a given volume and pressure (1 atm). If there is a rupture of the primary system (initially at saturated liquid conditions at 15.5 MPa), it will pressurize the containment. There has to be enough ice available to cool the liquid water from the primary system, such that the vapor and air in the containment do not exceed the pressure limit of 0.4 MPa.

The ice is at -10°C, so it must heat up to melting temp, then change phase from liquid to solid, and then heat up to some equilibrium with the primary water.

One can neglect the volume of ice by assuming that it's volume doesn't change much going from ice to liquid in containment.

But the problem now how to set up the balance equation! How to include the ice in the equation and we have fusion heat mixed me up!

Related to How to set up the balance equation

1. What is a balance equation?

A balance equation is a chemical equation that shows the reactants and products of a chemical reaction in their correct proportions. It follows the law of conservation of mass, which states that matter cannot be created or destroyed, only rearranged.

2. Why is it important to balance equations?

Balancing equations is important because it ensures that the reaction follows the law of conservation of mass. It also helps us to accurately predict the amount of products that will be formed and the amount of reactants that will be consumed.

3. How do I balance an equation?

To balance an equation, you need to make sure that the number of atoms of each element on the reactant side is equal to the number of atoms of that element on the product side. You can do this by adjusting the coefficients (numbers in front of the chemical formulas) of the reactants and products.

4. What are the steps to balancing an equation?

The steps to balancing an equation are:

1. Write out the reactants and products of the chemical reaction.
  2. Count the number of atoms of each element on both sides of the equation.
  3. Start by balancing the atoms that appear in only one reactant and one product.
  4. Next, balance the atoms that appear in multiple reactants and/or products.
  5. Check that the number of atoms of each element is equal on both sides of the equation.
  6. If the equation is not balanced, adjust the coefficients and repeat the process until it is balanced.

5. Are there any tips or tricks for balancing equations?

There are a few tips that can make balancing equations easier:

• Start by balancing elements that appear only once on each side of the equation.
  • If there are polyatomic ions, balance them as a group instead of individual atoms.
  • Use fractions if necessary to balance an equation with odd numbers of atoms.
  • Check your work by counting the number of atoms of each element on both sides of the equation.