How to set up equations to solve for v_os and input bias current?

In summary, the op-amp has a gain of -100 V/V, and an input resistor 100 K. The output voltage is 9.32 V when measured with the input open and has a 9.10 V. when measuring with the input grounded. The input offset voltage and bias current are 9.10 V and 1000 μA, respectively.
dla

Homework Statement

A particular inverting op-amp has a gain of -100 V/V, and an input resistor 100 K. The output voltage is 9.32 V when measured with the input open and has a 9.10 V. when measuring with the input grounded. What is the input offset voltage and bias current?

The circuit is attached

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

From the gain and the input resistor I know that R_2 has to be 10 MΩ. But I just can't seem to set my equations up properly.

I get confused because bias current flows from output to V_1. But then offset voltage is at the inverting terminal. Since current is flowing opposite of V_os, I thought it'd be simply V_os - I_B1 * R_2 for when it is grounded. I don't know how to get the equation for when the input is open though since we're not given V_in? I feel like I'm complicating this way more than needed.

When grounded I got this..

[itex] \large 9.10={v_{os}}- I_{B1}{10MΩ}[/itex]The answer for the equations are actually, for open input
[itex] \large 9.32 = v_{os} + 10000 I_{B1} [/itex]

and for ground..
[itex] \large 9.10 = v_{os}*101 +10000 I_{B1}[/itex]

I don't get how they got those directions, all the terms are positive. And for when the input is grounded how did they get the gain of 101 but for input there is gain of only 1 in front of v_os?

If anyone could explain I would appreciated very much, really want to get this concept down.

Physics news on Phys.org
dla said:
1. The circuit is attached

Where?

Sorry I just attached it. It's just a simple inverting configuration. Where R_2 is 1 MΩ and R_1=100kΩ

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    1.6 KB · Views: 421
OK, so write nodal equations for two cases:
1. where the input resistor is floating (no input: nothing connected to the input.)
2: ground the input as shown on your diagram.

In both cases you have a bias current flowing into the - input of the op amp. Other than that your op amp is ideal (infinite gain, no offset voltage). In paticular, this means the voltages at the op amp input terminals are equal. The offset voltage as depicted in your diagram acts as an external input voltage to the + input. It's also present in both cases.

It looks as though they've used a value for R2 that's inconsistent with the problem as described. Your value of 10MΩ is fine.

Their equations are correct in form, but they've used an incorrect value for R2 in generating them (perhaps the problem was "updated" at some point with a different gain value, but they failed to recalculate R2).

To find the equations I suggest applying KCL at the R1\R2 junction.

Yes, the problem appears to be misstated. The solution of the problem as given is for the offset voltage to be huge and for the bias current to be vanishingly small.

And if you reverse the shorted-input and the open-input output voltages the result is the same.

Related to How to set up equations to solve for v_os and input bias current?

1. What is the purpose of setting up equations to solve for v_os and input bias current?

The purpose of setting up equations to solve for v_os (offset voltage) and input bias current is to determine the values of these parameters in a circuit. These values are important for understanding the behavior of the circuit and ensuring its proper functioning.

2. How do I know which equations to use for solving for v_os and input bias current?

The equations used for solving for v_os and input bias current will depend on the specific circuit and components being used. Generally, these equations involve Ohm's Law and Kirchhoff's Laws to calculate the values based on the circuit's components and their characteristics.

3. What are some common challenges when setting up equations to solve for v_os and input bias current?

Some common challenges when setting up equations to solve for v_os and input bias current include not having accurate information about the circuit's components, difficulty in determining the correct equations to use, and potential errors in calculations.

4. Can I use simulation software to set up equations and solve for v_os and input bias current?

Yes, simulation software can be a helpful tool in setting up equations and solving for v_os and input bias current. It can provide accurate values and help in identifying any errors or issues with the circuit design.

5. How can I verify the accuracy of the values obtained from solving equations for v_os and input bias current?

The best way to verify the accuracy of the values obtained from solving equations for v_os and input bias current is to compare them to experimental data. This can be done by testing the circuit and measuring the values using a multimeter or other measuring tools.