How to save petrol in a Petrol Engine

• Thread starter Ashraf Siddiqui
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engine
In summary,Like Gas Engine can we use Petrol Engine working as Gas Engine?I mean instead injecting petrol directly into engine can we inject vapours of petrolinto engine using vacuum pump? Can we save petrol in this way without using stroke oil?These are the questions being asked. The first question is whether or not we can use a petrol engine to run on gas. The second question is whether or not we can save petrol by using a vacuum pump to inject the vapours of petrol into the engine.
Ashraf Siddiqui
Like Gas Engine can we use Petrol Engine working as Gas Engine?
I mean instead injecting petrol directly into engine can we inject vapours of petrol
into engine using vacuum pump? Can we save petrol in this way without using stroke oil?

Science news on Phys.org
The fuel is vaporized before it is burned - that's why it's sprayed into the intake (or, on newer designs, into the cylinders) as a very fine mist.

Ashraf Siddiqui said:
I mean instead injecting petrol directly into engine can we inject vapours of petrol
into engine using vacuum pump? Can we save petrol in this way without using stroke oil?
Your post is pretty incoherent, but are you saying you want to literally run a car on fumes? Have you calculated how fast you can get petrol to evaporate? How much power the vacuum pump and compressor takes? How much heat you have to absorb from the environment? My suspicion is this is a net loser because of the compressor/pump energy and loss of the liquid to gas expansion in the cylinder, but I'm not sure.

Also, by "stroke oil", do you mean motor oil? I'm not sure what that has to do with anything.

Russ - the fuel is vaporized prior to entering the cylinder in a lot of designs though, and even in direct injection engines, the injection occurs with the intake valve still open (except when running in stratified charge lean burn mode). The liquid to gas expansion doesn't help with cylinder pressure at all, though it is beneficial to help cool the intake charge.

cjl said:
Russ - the fuel is vaporized prior to entering the cylinder in a lot of designs though,
How is that accomplished? By means of a vacuum pump?
the injection occurs with the intake valve still open (except when running in stratified charge lean burn mode). The liquid to gas expansion doesn't help with cylinder pressure at all, though it is beneficial to help cool the intake charge.
Does the fuel that is injected as a liquid vaporize prior to the intake valve closing?

russ_watters said:
How is that accomplished? By means of a vacuum pump?
Nope, just by spraying the (fairly volatile) fuel in a very fine mist in the intake or cylinder, where it will vaporize nearly instantly due to the very large surface area and hot environment.
russ_watters said:
Does the fuel that is injected as a liquid vaporize prior to the intake valve closing?
I would tend to assume so, but I don't actually know for sure.

cjl said:
Nope, just by spraying the (fairly volatile) fuel in a very fine mist in the intake or cylinder, where it will vaporize nearly instantly due to the very large surface area and hot environment.
Ok, so I don't think that's what the OP was after.
I would tend to assume so, but I don't actually know for sure.
It seems I got the mechanism wrong. I was thinking a similar principle to water injection, but looking it up, I see that is also done before closing the inlet valve. The vaporization of the water (or gas) cools the inlet air, allowing more air into the engine. Two sides of the same coin (pressure ratio), but the improvement is in dropping the low end, not increasing the high end.

It won't really reduce the low end pressure - what it will do is increase air density due to cooling, which let's more oxygen in and therefore allows greater power production (plus it helps if the engine is thermally constrained).

There are several patents to Charles Pogue that were filed in the late 1920's through early 1930's for vapor carburetors. The Pogue carburetor is the basis for the mythical 100 MPG full size car. There have been consistent rumors from then through even today of this car being driven around until it was suppressed by your choice of the evil (car companies) (oil companies) (other villains). These rumors all ignore the fact that all patents are public information. You can read the patents by going to patents.google.com, and using search terms pogue carburetor.

cjl said:
The fuel is vaporized before it is burned - that's why it's sprayed into the intake (or, on newer designs, into the cylinders) as a very fine mist.
I seem to remember that the burning rate needs to be controlled and not explosive (high octane fuel is used for this reason) so is it really necessary to vaporise all the fuel at the same time? Fuel injection is more effective than a conventional carburettor so there will presumably be some optimum combustion time.
The proportion of the total stroke that's taken up by combustion is quite small, I believe.

Yes, you want the burning to occur along a single propagating flame front rather than occurring spontaneously throughout the cylinder, and you want it to not occur until the spark fires. That's a separate matter though - the fuel is all vaporized and the mixture in the cylinder is homogeneous before this ever happens. Fuel injection is more effective than a carburetor, but the reason isn't because of any difference in rate of vaporization or liquid fraction in the cylinder - it's more just about precisely controlling how much fuel makes it to each cylinder at any given time, and being able to control this across a wide range of operating conditions, RPM, and throttle settings. As for the combustion time, yes, it's generally assumed to be quite short, unlike a diesel engine where it takes a significant fraction of the power stroke.

Ashraf Siddiqui said:
I just read this again. Even in a gas engine, there needs to be mixing of the gas and air.

Last edited:

Related to How to save petrol in a Petrol Engine

What is the most effective way to save petrol in a Petrol Engine?

The most effective way to save petrol in a Petrol Engine is to practice efficient driving habits, such as avoiding unnecessary idling, maintaining a steady speed, and avoiding rapid acceleration and braking.

Can using premium petrol save more fuel in a Petrol Engine?

No, using premium petrol does not necessarily save more fuel in a Petrol Engine. It may provide a slight boost in performance, but it is not worth the extra cost for fuel efficiency.

How often should I change my engine oil to save petrol in a Petrol Engine?

Regularly changing your engine oil is important for maintaining the efficiency of your Petrol Engine. It is recommended to change your oil every 3,000-5,000 miles to keep your engine running smoothly and save petrol.

Does keeping my tyres properly inflated help save petrol in a Petrol Engine?

Yes, keeping your tyres properly inflated can significantly improve fuel efficiency in a Petrol Engine. Under-inflated tyres create more resistance and require more fuel to move the vehicle.

Are there any modifications I can make to my Petrol Engine to save petrol?

Yes, there are some modifications that can be made to a Petrol Engine to improve fuel efficiency. This includes installing a fuel-efficient air filter, using a fuel system cleaner, and upgrading to a more efficient exhaust system. However, these modifications may not always be cost-effective.