How to Represent Quotients in Latex?

In summary, the conversation discussed a problem with a line of Latex on the Linear and Abstract Algebra Forum, specifically with the notation for quotients. A solution was provided by Ackbach and Peter expressed gratitude for the help.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I have just finished a post on the Linear and Abstract Algebra Forum on Universal Properties,

I am having trouble with the following line of Latex: \(\displaystyle [a_1]_\sim_R , [a_3]_\sim_R , [a_5]_\sim_R , [a_7]_\sim_R, [a_8]_\sim_R \)

The effect that I wanted for each quotient was as follows:

View attachment 2632

Can someone please help?

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
I have just finished a post on the Linear and Abstract Algebra Forum on Universal Properties,

I am having trouble with the following line of Latex: \(\displaystyle [a_1]_\sim_R , [a_3]_\sim_R , [a_5]_\sim_R , [a_7]_\sim_R, [a_8]_\sim_R \)

Can someone please help?

Peter

Try
Code:
[a_1]_{\sim_R} ,  [a_3]_{\sim_R} ,  [a_5]_{\sim_R} , [a_7]_{\sim_R}, [a_8]_{\sim_R}

Ackbach said:
Try
Code:
[a_1]_{\sim_R} ,  [a_3]_{\sim_R} ,  [a_5]_{\sim_R} , [a_7]_{\sim_R}, [a_8]_{\sim_R}
That solved my Latex problem ... thanks Ackbach ,,, appreciate your help!

Peter

You're quite welcome!

Hello Peter,

I am a fellow scientist and I would be happy to help you with your Latex line. From what I understand, you are trying to represent a series of elements [a] in the quotient group R. In order to do this, you can use the "frac" command in Latex to create a fraction with the elements on the numerator and denominator. For example, the first element [a_1] can be written as \frac{a_1}{1} to represent it in the quotient group R. Similarly, the other elements can be written as \frac{a_3}{1}, \frac{a_5}{1}, \frac{a_7}{1}, and \frac{a_8}{1}. This will give you the desired effect of each quotient being represented as a fraction.

I hope this helps and let me know if you have any further questions. Keep up the good work on the Linear and Abstract Algebra Forum!

Best,

Related to How to Represent Quotients in Latex?

1. What is a post on universal properties?

A post on universal properties is a type of scientific communication that presents new findings or ideas related to the properties of a universal phenomenon. It can include research results, theoretical discussions, or analytical interpretations of existing data.

2. How is a post on universal properties different from a research paper?

A post on universal properties is typically shorter and less detailed than a research paper. It may also be less formal in structure and language, and can be published quickly to share new or preliminary findings with the scientific community.

3. Who can publish a post on universal properties?

Anyone with relevant expertise or knowledge can publish a post on universal properties. This includes scientists, researchers, and academics from various fields such as physics, biology, or mathematics.

4. What are the benefits of publishing a post on universal properties?

Publishing a post on universal properties allows for rapid dissemination of new ideas or findings, and can facilitate collaboration and discussion among scientists. It also provides a platform for sharing preliminary results or alternative perspectives that may not warrant a full research paper.

5. How can I ensure the credibility of a post on universal properties?

To ensure credibility, it is important to carefully evaluate the author's credentials and the sources of information used in the post. Additionally, peer-reviewed posts or those published in reputable scientific journals are typically more reliable. It is also helpful to read and consider any critiques or responses to the post from other experts in the field.