How to Repair a 5W LED Bulb (A15) | Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter John1397
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bulb Led
In summary, the speaker is trying to repair a 5 watt, 46 mA, 120 volt A15 LED bulb that runs on 30 volt DC. One of the five cells inside the bulb is not working, and each cell needs 6 volts. The remaining four good cells will burn with 24 volts applied, and the ammeter reads 90 mA, although its accuracy is uncertain. The speaker suggests using two LED sets rated at 20 mA and 3 volts in series to handle the voltage, or possibly using a 1 watt resistor rated at 40-70 ohms. However, the exact setup is unknown, and it's important to measure the voltage when the LEDs are lit to avoid damage. The speaker also
John1397
I am trying to repair a A15 LED Bulb rated 5 WATT 46 MA 120 Volt. It runs on 30 Volt DC it has 5 cells inside one is not working so based on this information each cell needs 6 volts so the remaining 4 good cells will burn with 24 volts which I applied and my ammeter says 90 MA I know not how accurate this is. If one puts 2 Led's rated 20 Ma at 3 volts in series this would handle the volts, but how many of these sets would one need to handle the amps maybe 5 I am thinking or could one put a 1 Watt resistor rated 40-70 ohms?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't know your exact set-up, but LEDs are commonly powered by a current source. Your 30VDC reading was probably a measurement made when there was no LED load. Take another measurement when the LEDs are lit.

There's a good chance that you can simply put the remaining four LEDs in series with the "36VDC" supply - because that supply is actually a current supply. But verify this first to avoid damaging you lighting.

This is a battery powered lamp right?

If it has a replaceable bulb rated at 120V but is powered by a 30V battery then is there a circuit that steps up the voltage?

The power supply puts out 43 volts DC when not connected to Leds when connected to Leds it drops to 30 volts DC. I soldiered two wires on each side of the bad led and connected them to 8 - 20 ma 3 volt T5 style leds and it seems to work how long I do not know. I have know idea what is in the base of these lamps I do know they get warm down on the base so electricity is wasted as heat.

Related to How to Repair a 5W LED Bulb (A15) | Step-by-Step Guide

1. How do I know if my 5W LED bulb needs repair?

There are a few signs that your LED bulb may need repair. These include flickering or dimming of the light, the light not turning on at all, or a burnt smell coming from the bulb. If you notice any of these issues, it is likely that your bulb needs repair.

2. What tools do I need to repair a 5W LED bulb?

To repair a 5W LED bulb, you will need a screwdriver, wire cutters, electrical tape, and a replacement LED component. You may also need a soldering iron and solder if the LED component needs to be replaced.

3. How do I open the bulb to access the LED component?

To open the bulb, use a screwdriver to remove the screws on the base of the bulb. Once the screws are removed, gently pull the base and bulb apart to reveal the LED component inside.

4. How do I replace the LED component?

If the LED component needs to be replaced, carefully remove it from the bulb by desoldering it from the circuit board. Then, solder the new LED component in place, making sure to match the positive and negative terminals correctly. Finally, reassemble the bulb and test it to ensure it is functioning properly.

5. Can I repair a 5W LED bulb if I am not an expert in electronics?

While repairing a 5W LED bulb may require some basic knowledge of electronics, it is possible for anyone to do with the right tools and instructions. However, if you are not comfortable with handling electronics, it is best to seek the help of a professional to avoid any potential hazards.