How to relax?(in sports-use body as union in harmony)

• Thread starter Skhandelwal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Body Union
In summary, this expert recommends using your hip and butt muscles to control your body, and then using your shoulder muscles to whip the ball. They suggest rotating your hips and torso to achieve this.
Skhandelwal
In my experience, whip provides the most speed/spin in table tennis...you don't have to be a tt pro to answer this question though...

Now, the issue is, inorder to whip, we need to keep our muscles relaxed...meaning, to sprint, our leg muscles, to swing, our arm muscles and torso...etc...the point is...in a workshop, I learned that hip/butt muscles control all of these, therefore, just by rotating them, you can jerk and control your whole body in a very precise and accurate manner...but the problem remains...even those muscles are not completely relaxed...therefore, how do I make 'em?

I know that by practice, I can...but I was looking for something quicker...and I found one too...when I play tennis, I automatically start using more muscles in a more relaxed manner b/c more momentum is REQUIRED...and therefore, right after swinging some tennis ball, when I swing ping pong ball...this is very easy...however, it will be such a hastle to have to play tennis inorder to play table tennis...(I do like both) But the crisis seems to be that fundamental strokes for both of these sports contradict each other in such a manner that it is actually NOT recommended to play both in the same season(if you are professional...which I am) So what should I do?

Thank you.

Biology news on Phys.org
Skhandelwal said:
Now, the issue is, inorder to whip, we need to keep our muscles relaxed...meaning, to sprint, our leg muscles, to swing, our arm muscles and torso...etc...the point is...in a workshop, I learned that hip/butt muscles control all of these, therefore, just by rotating them, you can jerk and control your whole body in a very precise and accurate manner...but the problem remains...even those muscles are not completely relaxed...therefore, how do I make 'em?

If you're standing, you cannot keep all those muscles relaxed. They are required to maintain stability of your hips to stand up. If they were completely relaxed, you'd fall down.

I have no idea what a "whip" is in table tennis. While sprinting, your leg muscles are anything but relaxed. Your hip/butt (also known as gluteal) muscles are not going to control your whole body, and muscles don't "rotate."

So, to put it simply, nothing you've asked makes any sense.

For any situation requiring relaxation, my weapon is Scotch.

Gee danger - in another thread you mentioned beer. You should get your story straight.
However, danger's answer makes sense to a question that I don't understand at all.
Wish I could have thought of it.

Danger said:
For any situation requiring relaxation, my weapon is Scotch.

Yep, as I already stated, if all those muscles are relaxed, you fall down. I have the same response if I consume a lot of scotch. :biggrin:

jim mcnamara said:
Gee danger - in another thread you mentioned beer. You should get your story straight.

No conflicting statements. Beer is my 'party-mood' or everyday beverage. Scotch/water heavy ice is a laid-back drink, or a couple of ounces as a shooter if I'm having trouble sleeping. I also love tequila.

moonbear said:
Yep, as I already stated, if all those muscles are relaxed, you fall down. I have the same response if I consume a lot of scotch.
Then may I offer you a Scotch, my dear. I don't fall down...

Last edited:
Scotch doesn't work in table tennis. Only works in under the table tennis.

Dammit, Greg... I want a <groan> smilie right now!

So my question is...when I play in tournament...my body tightens up and I can't seem to play my whip shots...etc...how do I relax it?

Skhandelwal said:
So my question is...when I play in tournament...my body tightens up and I can't seem to play my whip shots...etc...how do I relax it?

That's a question about mental state I think. If you're tensing up with the excitement of competition, you just have to calm yourself enough to relax. I guess practice against someone equally competitive. Athletes "choke" all the time, and it's a mental issue in the competitive environment, not a physical one.

but here are a few tips I found which made me think that can be solved by physical means as well...you see, he told me that any muscle you try to use...will get tense b/c you will fear weather I can make this shot or not...but if you rotate your hips and by that force jerk your torso, and through that whip your shoulders...you can have a completely smooth, natural, and powerful shot in table tennis...

So since I found one advice to help me...I am just trying to find more...

Related to How to relax?(in sports-use body as union in harmony)

1. How important is relaxation in sports?

Relaxation is crucial in sports as it helps athletes perform at their best. When the body is relaxed, it can move more freely and efficiently, leading to better performance. Additionally, relaxation can help prevent injuries and improve mental focus.

2. What are some techniques for relaxing the body in sports?

There are several techniques that can help relax the body in sports, such as deep breathing, progressive muscle relaxation, visualization, and stretching. It is essential to find the right technique that works for you and practice it regularly.

3. How can relaxation improve overall body harmony in sports?

Relaxation can improve body harmony in sports by reducing tension and stress in the body. When the body is relaxed, muscles can work together in a more coordinated manner, leading to better movement and coordination. This can also help prevent injuries and improve overall performance.

4. Is relaxation only important during competition, or should it be practiced regularly?

Relaxation should be practiced regularly, not just during competition. Regular relaxation techniques can help athletes maintain a state of physical and mental balance, improving their overall well-being and performance. It is essential to incorporate relaxation into training routines to reap its benefits fully.

5. Can relaxation have a positive impact on an athlete's mental state?

Yes, relaxation can have a significant impact on an athlete's mental state. When the body is relaxed, the mind also tends to be more calm and focused. This can help athletes manage stress and anxiety, leading to better mental clarity and decision-making abilities during sports performance.