How to reflect light through a glass like those in holographic sight?

In summary, the use of a partially silvered mirror is a common method for creating a parallax-free sight on holographic weapon sights. This technology is also utilized in red dot sights and can be replicated using DIY methods found on YouTube. The basics of sight reflection are easy to understand and the individual plans to update the topic once they have completed their own replica.
mastermechanic
Hello everyone,

Most of you know the Holographic Sights used on weapons to aim. I have a 3d printer and I will try to replicate one of them. I just wonder how the red dot/sight is reflected on the glass without making the light reflected anywhere else? It doesn't have to have exact same technology, I am here for suggestions about how to replicate that so I am open to new ideas.

weg.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
Baluncore said:
They employ a partially silvered mirror to generate a parallax free sight.

Thank you for your answer. After I posted this thread I researched it and found out lots of DIY videos on youtube related to this topic. I understood the basics of the sight reflection and it's pretty easy. I will update this topic when I finish my own.

Likes berkeman

1. How does a holographic sight work?

A holographic sight works by using a laser to project a beam of light onto a holographic film. This film then creates a 3D image that appears to be floating in space. When the user looks through the sight, they see this holographic image superimposed on their view of the target.

2. What type of glass is used in holographic sights?

The glass used in holographic sights is typically a type of coated optical glass that is designed to be transparent and have a low refractive index. This allows for the laser light to pass through the glass without distortion, creating a clear and accurate holographic image.

3. How is light reflected through the glass in a holographic sight?

Light is reflected through the glass in a holographic sight using a series of mirrors and lenses. The laser light is first reflected off of a partially silvered mirror, which splits the beam into two paths. One path is directed onto the holographic film, and the other is directed onto a diffuser. The diffuser then spreads the light out and reflects it back onto the film, creating the holographic image.

4. Can any type of glass be used in a holographic sight?

No, not all types of glass are suitable for use in a holographic sight. The glass must have specific optical properties, such as low refractive index and high transparency, in order for the holographic image to be clear and accurate. Additionally, the glass must be able to withstand high temperatures and be resistant to scratches and other damage.

5. How can I improve the reflection of light through the glass in a holographic sight?

To improve the reflection of light through the glass in a holographic sight, you can use high-quality coated optical glass and ensure that the mirrors and lenses are clean and properly aligned. Additionally, using a more powerful laser can also improve the brightness and clarity of the holographic image. Regular maintenance and cleaning of the sight can also help to maintain optimal reflection of light through the glass.