How to Read the Position of a DC Motor for a Car Mirror with Memory Project?

• Thread starter Rami Ak
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dc Motors
In summary, the rotary encoder is a common way to know the position of your motor, but if you don't have room for extra parts, you might need to use a physical blocking or current increase to detect the position.
Rami Ak
Hi my name is Rami am from Syria and is my first post here, I'm studying communication engineering and I'm working on a junior project about ( car mirror with memory ) that saves the locations of a car mirror for many drivers ..
i'm using Atmega-16 to do this with keypad and L293 Motor Driver and LCD
every thing went well but the PROBLEM is :
How can i know the position of the DC motor ?? ( read the position )
how to read it ?? what device ?? what method to have values for motor positions back to Microconroller ??
I can't add a resistor to bring the value ( rotation ) from motor because I'm working on regular and fixed car mirror ... and normal DC motor .. non-step one
the solution should exist somewhere in my circuit
my project reached a dead end
any useful ideas please ?
many many many thanks 4 all
sorry about my English :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
A rotary encoder is a common way to know the position of your motor.

DragonPetter said:
A rotary encoder is a common way to know the position of your motor.

Thank you DragonPetter but i can't add anything to my DC motor in that mirror ( no place ) its fixed

Rami Ak said:
Thank you DragonPetter but i can't add anything to my DC motor in that mirror ( no place ) its fixed

Well, there are simpler solutions, but this depends on the position resolution you can accept.

DragonPetter said:
Well, there are simpler solutions, but this depends on the position resolution you can accept.

solutions like what ? :(

Have you considered a potentiometer, or photodiodes?

If there is really NO ROOM in the housing for extra parts you are probably banging your head on the impossible. If there is some room, then first thing would be some kind of limit detectors or switches, and then maybe you can add a few more for in-between detection. Or a disk with a bunch of holes drilled around it's edge so you could get a step count? Having a potentiometer on the drive shaft would be a big step-up from that.

Failing all that, if the drive system has hard stops at both ends, you can detect the motor current so you at least know when you've gotten to the end. Then you could just count how much time it takes between the stops and estimate the position.

schip666! said:
If there is really NO ROOM in the housing for extra parts you are probably banging your head on the impossible. If there is some room, then first thing would be some kind of limit detectors or switches, and then maybe you can add a few more for in-between detection. Or a disk with a bunch of holes drilled around it's edge so you could get a step count? Having a potentiometer on the drive shaft would be a big step-up from that.

Failing all that, if the drive system has hard stops at both ends, you can detect the motor current so you at least know when you've gotten to the end. Then you could just count how much time it takes between the stops and estimate the position.

Good point. You can model your system mathematically and run it in open loop and hope it stays on course. You would have to get your bearing on the position at start up every time, which would basically mean drive the motor to a known point with a photodiode or a physical blocking that causes the current to increase like schip666 mentioned.

Guys relly many thanks it's great ideas I've never though about current change with limits ,
is it possible to add a timer... any suggestion IC ? or i can program it with micro ??
really thank you DragonPetter and schip666
chears ..

Related to How to Read the Position of a DC Motor for a Car Mirror with Memory Project?

1. What is a DC motor?

A DC motor is a type of electric motor that converts direct current (DC) electrical energy into mechanical energy through the use of a magnetic field. It typically consists of a stator (stationary part) and a rotor (rotating part) and is commonly used in a variety of applications, such as powering fans, pumps, and industrial machinery.

2. How does a DC motor work?

A DC motor works by utilizing the Lorentz force law, which states that when a current-carrying conductor is placed in a magnetic field, a force is exerted on the conductor. This force causes the rotor, which is connected to the current-carrying armature, to rotate. The direction of rotation can be changed by reversing the direction of the current flow.

3. What are the advantages of using a DC motor?

DC motors have several advantages, including high starting torque, precise speed control, and simple construction. They are also relatively inexpensive and easy to maintain, making them a popular choice for many applications.

4. What are the different types of DC motors?

There are several types of DC motors, including brushed and brushless motors. Brushed motors use a commutator and brushes to switch the direction of the current, while brushless motors use electronic controllers to switch the current. Other types include permanent magnet, shunt wound, series wound, and compound wound motors.

5. How do I choose the right DC motor for my application?

The right DC motor for your application will depend on factors such as the required speed, torque, and power output. It is important to consider the specific requirements of your application and consult with a knowledgeable expert to determine the best type and size of DC motor for your needs.