How to re-arrange formula with an exponent

In summary, the conversation discusses rearranging a formula solved for Tp, where Tp is the target variable and T and Sa are given values. The solution involves taking logs and exponentiating both sides.
wally6767
I have been out of school for 35 years and this is out of my reach. Can someone please re-arrange this formula solved for Tp .

T = (Tp / Sa) to the .833 power

I have an example in it's current form.

T = 40.5 Deg C
Tp = 2300mW/CM cubbed
Sa = 27 CM squared

Mathematics news on Phys.org
First take logs of both sides:
$$\log(T) = \log\left( (Tp/Sa)^{0.833}\right) = 0.833 \log\left( (Tp/Sa) \right) = 0.833(\log(Tp) - \log(Sa))$$
Now solve for ##\log(Tp)## and exponentiate both sides to get an expression for ##Tp##.

jbunnii, thanks for the reply. I have tried to solve for Tp but no luck. I do not remember ever doing math like this before.

Since the "target" variable is not in the exponent, I would not use the logarithm, I would take the 1/.833 power of both sides:
[tex]T= \left(\frac{T_p}{S_a}\right)^{.833}[/tex]
[tex]T^{1/.833}= \frac{T_p}{S_a}[/tex]
[tex]T_p= T^{1/.833}S_a[/tex].

hallsofivy, thank you very much for this elegant solution.

Related to How to re-arrange formula with an exponent

1. How do I re-arrange a formula with exponents?

To re-arrange a formula with exponents, you can follow the basic rules of algebra. Begin by isolating the term with the exponent on one side of the equation. Then, you can use inverse operations to move the other terms to the other side of the equation. Finally, you can use the rules of exponents to simplify the equation and solve for the variable.

2. What is the first step in re-arranging a formula with exponents?

The first step in re-arranging a formula with exponents is to identify the term with the exponent and isolate it on one side of the equation. This can be done by using inverse operations to move the other terms to the other side of the equation.

3. Can I simplify the exponents in a re-arranged formula?

Yes, once you have re-arranged the formula and isolated the term with the exponent, you can use the rules of exponents to simplify the equation. These rules include adding or subtracting exponents when multiplying or dividing like terms, and multiplying or dividing exponents when raising a power to a power.

4. Is there a specific order in re-arranging a formula with exponents?

There is no specific order in re-arranging a formula with exponents. However, it is important to follow the basic rules of algebra and use inverse operations to move terms to the other side of the equation. It may also be helpful to simplify exponents before solving for the variable.

5. How can I check if I have correctly re-arranged a formula with exponents?

You can check if you have correctly re-arranged a formula with exponents by plugging in your solution to the original equation and simplifying. If the simplified equation is true, then you have correctly re-arranged the formula. You can also check by using a calculator to evaluate both sides of the equation and comparing the results.