How to Prove Vector Identity Using Levi-Civita Notation?

• Thread starter hellomynameisscottt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Notation
In summary: The expression for a triple product is## (\vec{A} \times \vec{B} \times \vec{C})_i = (\vec{A} \times \vec{B})(\vec{C} \times \vec{A})\epsilon_{ijk} = (\vec{A}(\vec{B})^3)_i(\vec{C}^3)_j ##and the following equation is equal to## (\vec{A} \times \vec{B})(\vec{C} \times \vec{A})\epsilon_{ijk} = (\vec{A}(\vec{
hellomynameisscottt
OP warned about not using the homework template
I need to prove B.(Gradient . B) - B X(Gradient X B)=Del{i} [B{i}B{j} -1/2 (kroneker delta {ij} B^2]

where I have used . as the dot product, {} as subscript. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
If I write the left hand side using proper math symbols, is
$$
\mathbf{B} (\nabla \cdot \mathbf{B}) - \mathbf{B} \times (\nabla \times \mathbf{B})
$$
correct?

Hi Blue_leaf77,

Yes that is correct! Thank you, I am sorry I typed it so poorly I am new to Physics forums.

Then the equality in the original equation does not make sense because the left side is a vector whereas the right side is a scalar.

The right is still a vector, I have Bolded the vector quantities B.

This is essentially a proof from Jackson. But I need to show it with levi Cevita notation.

hellomynameisscottt said:
The right is still a vector, I have Bolded the vector quantities B.
No, it's not. For instance you have ##|\mathbf{B}|^2## which is a scalar.

I have uploaded the page from Jackson it is equation (6.119) I am trying to prove, however I must use Levi Cevita notation.

Attachments

• IMG_4558.JPG
    IMG_4558.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 413
I see, the left side should be ##[\mathbf{B} (\nabla \cdot \mathbf{B}) - \mathbf{B} \times (\nabla \times \mathbf{B})]_i## which is the i-th component of the vector inside the square bracket and this is a scalar. Start by writing ##\nabla\cdot \mathbf{B}## using Einstein summation notation. Anyway if you have progressed up to any point, just post it here, preferably using LaTex.

hellomynameisscottt said:
I need to prove B.(Gradient . B) - B X(Gradient X B)=Del{i} [B{i}B{j} -1/2 (kroneker delta {ij} B^2]

where I have used . as the dot product, {} as subscript. Thank you!
You will need to use that the i-th component of a cross product may be written as
## (\vec{A} \times \vec{B})_i = \epsilon_{ijk} A_j B_k ##

and you will need to find the expression for a triple product...hint: what is the following expression equal to?
## \sum_i \epsilon_{ijk} \epsilon_{iab} = ? ##

Related to How to Prove Vector Identity Using Levi-Civita Notation?

1. What is Levi Civita notation?

Levi Civita notation, also known as the Levi-Civita symbol or the permutation tensor, is a mathematical symbol used to represent the determinant of a square matrix. It was first introduced by Italian mathematician Tullio Levi-Civita in the late 19th century.

2. Why is Levi Civita notation useful?

Levi Civita notation is useful because it allows for a compact representation of complicated mathematical expressions involving determinants. It also simplifies the notation for calculating cross products and vector calculus operations.

3. How is Levi Civita notation written?

Levi Civita notation is typically written as a single lowercase Greek letter epsilon (ε) with one or more subscripts to indicate the number of dimensions or vectors involved. It is often written in a superscript form, with the subscripts written below and to the right of the epsilon symbol.

4. What are the rules for manipulating Levi Civita notation?

There are several rules for manipulating Levi Civita notation, including the antisymmetry property, the product rule, and the substitution rule. These rules allow for simplification and manipulation of expressions involving Levi Civita notation.

5. How is Levi Civita notation used in physics?

Levi Civita notation is commonly used in physics, particularly in areas such as electromagnetism and general relativity. It allows for a concise representation of equations involving vector calculus, making it a useful tool in fields such as theoretical physics and mathematical physics.