How to Prove the Trigonometric Inequality for Real Numbers?

In summary, a trigonometric inequality is an inequality that involves trigonometric functions and is used to compare the values of different trigonometric expressions. The most common trigonometric inequalities are sine, cosine, and tangent inequalities. These inequalities can be solved using similar methods as regular algebraic inequalities, such as algebraic manipulation and graphing. Trigonometric inequalities have applications in various fields and cannot be solved using a calculator.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
For real numbers \(\displaystyle 0\lt x\lt \frac{\pi}{2}\), prove that $\cos^2 x \cot x+\sin^2 x \tan x\ge 1$.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
My solution:

If we observe that:

\(\displaystyle g(x)=\sin^2(x)\tan(x)\)

\(\displaystyle h(x)=\cos^2(x)\cot(x)\)

are complimentary functions, we can state the problem as:

Optimize the objective function:

\(\displaystyle f(x,y)=\sin^2(x)\tan(x)+\sin^2(y)\tan(y)\)

Subject to the constraints:

\(\displaystyle x+y=\frac{\pi}{2}\)

\(\displaystyle 0<x,\,y<\frac{\pi}{2}\)

And so...wait for it...can you guess where I'm going with this?...Yes! By cyclic symmetry, we know the critical point is:

\(\displaystyle (x,y)=\left(\frac{\pi}{4},\frac{\pi}{4}\right)\)

And we then find:

\(\displaystyle f\left(\frac{\pi}{4},\frac{\pi}{4}\right)=1\)

Checking another point on the constraint, such as:

\(\displaystyle (x,y)=\left(\frac{\pi}{6},\frac{\pi}{3}\right)\)

We find:

\(\displaystyle f\left(\frac{\pi}{6},\frac{\pi}{3}\right)=\frac{5}{2\sqrt{3}}>1\)

And so we know:

\(\displaystyle f_{\min}=1\)

anemone said:
For real numbers \(\displaystyle 0\lt x\lt \frac{\pi}{2}\), prove that $\cos^2 x \cot x+\sin^2 x \tan x\ge 1$.

$$\cos^2(x)\cot(x)+\sin^2(x)\tan(x)=(1-\sin^2(x))\cot(x)+(1-\cos^2(x))\tan(x)$$

$$=\cot(x)+\tan(x)-\sin(2x)=\dfrac{2-\sin^2(2x)}{\sin(2x)}=\dfrac{1+\cos^2(2x)}{\sin(2x)}\quad(1)$$

As $0<\sin(2x)\le1$ and $1\le1+\cos^2(2x)<2$, $(1)\ge1$ with equality at $x=\dfrac{\pi}{4}$.

Hi MarkFL and greg1313! Thanks for participating and good job to the both of you! (Cool)

My solution:

First, note that we can rewrite $\cos^2 x \cot x+\sin^2 x \tan x$ as \(\displaystyle \frac{\cos^3 x}{\sin x}+\frac{\sin^3 x}{\cos x}\).

For the domain \(\displaystyle 0\lt x\lt \frac{\pi}{4}\), we have $\cos^3 x\gt \sin^3x,\,\dfrac{1}{\sin x}\gt \dfrac{1}{\cos x}$, so by the rearrangement inequality we have:

$\begin{align*}\cos^2 x \cot x+\sin^2 x \tan x=\dfrac{\cos^3 x}{\sin x}+\dfrac{\sin^3 x}{\cos x}&\ge \dfrac{\cos^3 x}{\cos x}+\dfrac{\sin^3 x}{\sin x}\\&=\cos^2x+\sin^2 x\\&=1\end{align*}$

By the same token, for the domain \(\displaystyle \frac{\pi}{4}\le x\lt \frac{\pi}{2}\), we have $\sin^3 x\gt \cos^3x,\,\dfrac{1}{\cos x}\gt \dfrac{1}{\sin x}$, so by the rearrangement inequality we also have:

$\begin{align*}\cos^2 x \cot x+\sin^2 x \tan x=\dfrac{\sin^3 x}{\cos x}+\dfrac{\cos^3 x}{\sin x}&\ge \dfrac{\sin^3 x}{\sin x}+\dfrac{\cos^3 x}{\cos x}\\&=\sin^2x+\cos^2 x\\&=1\end{align*}$

Combining the two yields the result.

My suggested solution:

By the AM-GM inequality, we get:

$\frac{\cos^3x}{\sin x}+\frac{sin^3x}{\cos x} \ge 2\sqrt{\frac{\cos^3x\sin^3x}{\cos x\sin x}} = \sin 2x \le 1, \;\;\; 0 < x < \frac{\pi}{2}$

Thus

$\cos^2x\cot x+\sin^2x\tan x \ge 1$

lfdahl said:
My suggested solution:

By the AM-GM inequality, we get:

$\frac{\cos^3x}{\sin x}+\frac{sin^3x}{\cos x} \ge 2\sqrt{\frac{\cos^3x\sin^3x}{\cos x\sin x}} = \sin 2x \le 1, \;\;\; 0 < x < \frac{\pi}{2}$

Thus

$\cos^2x\cot x+\sin^2x\tan x \ge 1$

I aam sorry if I misunderstood but

$a > b $ and $ b <=c$ does not mean $ a > c$

kaliprasad said:
I aam sorry if I misunderstood but

$a > b $ and $ b <=c$ does not mean $ a > c$

You´re right, kaliprasad. The question is, what can I conclude from:

$LHS \ge \sin2x$?

Anyway, the LHS has its minimum (by symmetry) at $x = \frac{\pi}{4}$ $(\cos x = \sin x = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}})$.
i.e. $LHS_{min} = 1$.

Last edited:

Related to How to Prove the Trigonometric Inequality for Real Numbers?

What is a trigonometric inequality?

A trigonometric inequality is an inequality that involves trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent. It is used to compare the values of different trigonometric expressions.

What are the common trigonometric inequalities?

The most common trigonometric inequalities are sine, cosine, and tangent inequalities. These include sin x ≤ 1, cos x ≤ 1, and tan x < 1, among others.

How is a trigonometric inequality solved?

To solve a trigonometric inequality, the same methods used to solve regular algebraic inequalities are used. This includes using algebraic manipulation, factoring, and graphing to find the solution set.

What are the applications of trigonometric inequalities?

Trigonometric inequalities are used in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics, to model and solve real-world problems involving angles and distances.

Can trigonometric inequalities be solved using a calculator?

While a calculator can be used to check the solutions of trigonometric inequalities, it cannot be used to solve them. Solving trigonometric inequalities requires understanding of trigonometric identities and properties.