How to prove that the shortest distance between two points is a line?

In summary, the shortest distance between two points is the straight line segment connecting them, also known as the "Euclidean distance". This can be proven using the Pythagorean theorem and has significant implications in mathematics and physics. While it always holds true in Euclidean geometry, it may not be the case in non-Euclidean geometries. This concept is applied in various fields such as navigation, engineering, and physics to determine the most efficient route, calculate distances, and understand motion.
madhura2498
Homework Statement
This is the given functional derivative of distance between the two points:
$$\frac{\partial L[y]}{\partial x_{i} } = \frac{d}{d \lambda } L[y(x) + \lambda \delta(x- x_{i} )] \Big|_{\lambda =0}$$
where $\delta(x-x_i)$ is the Dirac's delta function.

I know the Hamilton Variation method. Don't know how to use the Dirac's delta function in the derivation.
Relevant Equations
$$\frac{\partial L[y]}{\partial x_{i} } = \frac{d}{d \lambda } L[y(x) + \lambda \delta(x- x_{i} )] \Big|_{\lambda =0}$$
where $\delta(x-x_i)$ is the Dirac's delta function.
I tried using hamilton method but i don't think that's correct

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you trying to use Calculus of Variations to prove it?

It reminded me of the brachistochrone problem ie the time is timewise shortest downhill path in a constant g field is a catenary and not a straight line.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brachistochrone_curve

so perhaps a similar math setup with g=0 would prove it.

Related to How to prove that the shortest distance between two points is a line?

1. How do you define the shortest distance between two points?

The shortest distance between two points is the straight line connecting them, also known as the "geodesic." This is the shortest possible path that can be taken between any two points in a given space.

2. Can you prove that the shortest distance between two points is a line?

Yes, this can be proven using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. In the case of a straight line connecting two points, this is equivalent to the distance formula, which confirms that the straight line is indeed the shortest distance between the two points.

3. What is the significance of proving that the shortest distance between two points is a line?

The proof of the shortest distance between two points being a line is a fundamental concept in geometry and has many practical applications, such as in navigation and engineering. It also helps us understand the concept of straight lines and their properties.

4. Are there any exceptions to the rule that the shortest distance between two points is a line?

Yes, there are exceptions in non-Euclidean geometries where the shortest distance between two points may not be a straight line. For example, in spherical geometry, the shortest distance between two points on a sphere is a segment of a great circle, not a straight line.

5. How can this concept be applied in real-life situations?

The concept of the shortest distance between two points being a line has various practical applications, such as in navigation and transportation. For example, when planning the most efficient route for a road trip, we can use this concept to determine the shortest distance between two cities. It is also used in engineering and construction to determine the most efficient path for roads, railways, and pipelines.