How to prove e^ix=cos x + i sin x

• Thread starter HeilPhysicsPhysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sin
In summary, the conversation discusses various methods for proving the equation e^ix=cos x + i sin x. These include using the Taylor series, differential equations, and the historical development of the formula by Euler. Each method involves manipulating the equation and using various definitions and identities to show that e^ix=cos x + i sin x is true.
HeilPhysicsPhysics

Mathematics news on Phys.org
HeilPhysicsPhysics said:

One way is to start with the taylor series for ex and then change x to ix and remembering that
i2 = -1, i3 = -i, and i4 = 1 you can rearrange the series and show that this is equal to the other side of that equation.

The proof depends on your definitions (for example, if you define [itex]\cos{x}[/itex] as [itex](e^{ix}+e^{-ix})/2[/itex] and [itex]\sin{x}[/itex] as [itex](e^{ix} - e^{-ix})/(2i)[/itex] then it's pretty easy!).

It's also clear if you start from the Taylor series of the three functions about the origin as d_leet suggested.

You can also start from the differential equation for e^x,

[tex]y^\prime = y, y(0)=1.[/tex]

Write

[itex]e^{ix} = f(x) + ig(x),[/itex]

(where f, g are real-valued)

so that [itex]f(0) = 1[/itex] and [itex]g(0) = 0[/itex]

then you must have (by the chain rule)

[tex]ie^{ix} = f^\prime(x) + ig^\prime(x),[/tex]

or, rearranging,

[tex]e^{ix} = \frac{1}{i}f^\prime(x) + g^\prime(x) = g^\prime(x) - if^\prime(x).[/tex]

Since [itex]e^0 = 1[/itex] that means [itex]g^\prime(0) = 1[/itex] and [itex]f^\prime(0) = 0[/itex]. Now differentiate again and you get

[tex]ie^{ix} = g^{\prime \prime}(x) - if^{\prime \prime}(x)[/tex]

or

[tex]e^{ix} = -f^{\prime \prime}(x) - ig^{\prime \prime}(x).[/tex]

Comparing the real and imaginary parts with our original [itex]e^{ix} = f(x) + ig(x)[/itex] you get two differential equations with initial conditions:

[tex]f^{\prime \prime}(x) = -f(x), f^{\prime}(0) = 0, f(0) = 1[/tex]

and

[tex]g^{\prime \prime} (x) = -g(x), g^{\prime}(0) = 1, g(0) = 0.[/tex]

It's easy to check that f(x) = cos(x) and g(x)= sin(x) satisfy these DEs, and by a theorem in the theory of DEs the solutions are unique.

Last edited:
Let [tex] z = \rm{cos}\theta + i \cdot \rm{sin}\theta [/tex]

Then derive z:

[tex]\frac{\rm{d}z}{\rm{d}\theta} = - \rm{sin}\theta + i \cdot \rm{cos}\theta = -1 (\rm{sin}\theta - i \cdot \rm{cos}\theta) = i^2 (\rm{sin}\theta - i \cdot\rm{cos}\theta ) = i (i \cdot \rm{sin}\theta - i^2 \cdot \rm{cos}\theta) = i(\rm{cos}\theta + i \cdot \rm{sin}\theta) = i \cdot z[/tex]

This is a differential equation:
[tex]\frac{\rm{d}z}{\rm{d}\theta} = i z [/tex]
whose solution is

[tex] z = e^{i \theta} [/tex]

Thus, [tex] \rm{cos}\theta + i \rm{sin}\theta = e^{i \theta} [/tex]

Last edited:
Umm.. in fact i think that the "historical" development fo the formula came with euler when studying the "Harmonic (classical) oscilator"..

[tex] y'' + \omega ^2 y =0 [/tex] trying y=exp(ax) then you get..

[tex] a^2 +\omega ^2 =0 [/tex] so [tex] + \sqrt (-1) \omega =a [/tex] (and the same

with a minus sign)

-On the other hand the long-known solution for the Harmonic movement was [tex] y= Asin (\omega t) +B Cos(\omega t) [/tex] then if you set the initial condition [tex] y(0)=0 [/tex] you get the identity for sin. and using the well-known formula [tex] cos^2 (x) + sen^2 (x) =1 [/tex] oh..if today math were so easier...i would have became famous years ago... :eek: :eek:

Last edited:

Related to How to prove e^ix=cos x + i sin x

1. What is the meaning of e^ix in the equation e^ix = cos x + i sin x?

e^ix is the exponential function raised to the power of the imaginary number ix. It represents a complex number with a real part (cos x) and an imaginary part (i sin x).

2. Why is the equation e^ix = cos x + i sin x important?

This equation, known as Euler's formula, is important because it shows the connection between the exponential function and trigonometric functions. It also plays a crucial role in many mathematical and scientific applications, such as signal processing and quantum mechanics.

3. How can you prove that e^ix = cos x + i sin x?

The proof involves using the power series expansions for e^ix, cos x, and sin x, and then equating the coefficients of the same powers of x. This results in a series of identities, known as the Maclaurin series, which can be used to show that the two sides of the equation are equal.

4. What is the significance of the complex number representation of e^ix = cos x + i sin x?

The complex number representation allows for a compact and elegant way to express trigonometric functions, making it easier to perform calculations and solve equations involving these functions. It also provides a deeper understanding of the connections between different areas of mathematics.

5. Are there any real-world applications of e^ix = cos x + i sin x?

Yes, this equation has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance. For example, it is used in the analysis of alternating current circuits, signal processing, and financial modeling. It also has applications in quantum mechanics, where complex numbers are used to describe the behavior of particles.