How to Properly Cite Websites Using BibTex?

In summary, the conversation is about using Bibtex to cite a website. The person has included the package "url" in their preamble and has used the "misc" entry in their .bib file to include the website. However, they are having issues with the website not showing up in the bibliography. They are advised to use the "misc" entry type and include the website in the "howpublished" field. This solution is successful.
NoobixCube
I am trying to cite a website using Bibtex.
I have the following in my preamble
\usepackage{url}

and in my .bib file I have

@article{
exoplanetwebsite,
Author = {Jean Schneider},
Title = {The Extrasolar Planets Encyclopaedia},
Publisher = {\url{http://exoplanet.eu/catalog.php}} }

The Author and Title show up in the PDF bibliography but not the website. Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
'publisher' isn't a field name for an 'article' entry: http://www.image.ufl.edu/help/latex/entry_bibtex.shtml

Cool thanks, might got for the misc entry

@misc
Use this type when nothing else fits. Required fields: none. Optional fields: author, title, howpublished, month, year, note.

Yeah it worked sweet as a nut

@misc{
exoplanetwebsite,
Author = {Jean Schneider},
Title = {The Extrasolar Planets Encyclopaedia},
howpublished = {\url{http://exoplanet.eu/catalog.php}} }

Related to How to Properly Cite Websites Using BibTex?

1. What is BibTex?

BibTex is a reference management tool used to create and format lists of references in documents, particularly in the fields of science and mathematics.

2. Why should I use BibTex to cite websites?

BibTex allows for consistent and accurate citation formatting, making it easier for readers to locate and verify the sources used in your work.

3. How do I cite a website using BibTex?

To cite a website using BibTex, you will need to use the "@misc" entry type and include the website's URL, title, author (if available), and date of access in the BibTex code.

4. Can I customize the citation style with BibTex?

Yes, BibTex offers a variety of citation styles that can be customized to fit your specific formatting needs.

5. Is it necessary to include the date of access when citing a website with BibTex?

Yes, it is important to include the date of access when citing a website with BibTex as the content of websites can change over time.