How to post image to my thread?

• Thread starter Ganesh Ujwal
  • Start date
In summary, when posting an image, you can use the Upload a File button (bottom right when you post), or upload it to an image site and reference it from there using the image button on the top.
Ganesh Ujwal
how to post image to my thread?
i would like to attach a jpeg file so to improve my questions.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ganesh Ujwal said:
how to post image to my thread?
i would like to attach a jpeg file so to improve my questions.
You can use the Upload a File button (bottom right when you post) or upload it to an image site and reference it from there using the image button on the top.

which image site should i use? please tell, i don't have knowledge on image hosting sites.

Ganesh Ujwal said:
which image site should i use? please tell, i don't have knowledge on image hosting sites.
There are lots of them that you can find with a simple Google search. I use photobucket for uploading images to PF. If you just need to display a few images, just use the Upload a File button.

Borg said:
use the Upload a File button.
I just tried that with no result whatsoever. When I switched to a different file, it finally popped up a message saying that the selected file didn't have an allowed extension. Can I just temporarily change the name of it, or would I have to somehow make an Illustrator (or Inscape, or TurboCad) file into some other format?

Danger said:
I just tried that with no result whatsoever. When I switched to a different file, it finally popped up a message saying that the selected file didn't have an allowed extension. Can I just temporarily change the name of it, or would I have to somehow make an Illustrator (or Inscape, or TurboCad) file into some other format?
I doubt that would work. The software on the site probably uses the extension to know how to display the files or provide links to them. I would think that it checks the files beforehand to verify that they are valid for the given extension.

Changing the extension does not help - you might be able to upload it, but then no one can see the file because it has a wrong format, and even neglecting the extension you cannot see the images without the right software because it has some unusual encoding.
--> use some common file format like png, gif, jpg

Right, instead of using (say) native Illustrator file format, export or save it as a gif or jpg.

jtbell said:
Right, instead of using (say) native Illustrator file format, export or save it as a gif or jpg.
That's a great idea, with one problem. The last machine I had that has those files and Illustrator is the Blueberry that my wife dumped a beer into. This is the second MacBook that I've had since, and neither one of them will run it. Nothing that I have will open the files in order to change format. My old G3 has an earlier version of Illustrator (6, I think), and more importantly Photoshop which is what I need to do the transformation, but there's no way to transfer the files from this machine to it.
Hang on, now. I just opened my documents file again and noticed something really weird. The file in question, and most of the others that I can't open on this 'book is identified as "Jumping beans_jpeg" rather than "Jumping beans.jpg" which I would have expected. (Since the extension isn't .ai, it isn't in the original Illustrator format. It must be one that I switched through Photoshop in order to put on ImageShack.) I don't have a clue why there's a "_" instead of a ".", but it's annoying. Maybe I'll just have to get onto a hosting site that has a wider appetite for formats.

Ganesh Ujwal said:

I like to use img.bi or mediacru.sh. However, I'm a privacy nut and those are privacy oriented services..

If you are composing your post in the FireFox browser (maybe others, too ) you can simply COPY + PASTE a photo (actually its link) directly into your post. :oldlove:

I only just recently noticed this handy feature. So you don't need to find out the explicit URL of a figure you want to replicate here from some web page. :-p (Alas, I can't seem to achieve this feat using the native browser on my Android. :H )

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQDp4k5BOXGk67uFcxgD0_24vpQB9s4xOrm5ZbALuxEgz9I8saL.jpg
http://thumbnails111.imagebam.com/37333/4d0696373324852.jpg
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQQ5dcupKayMh9GyxA8zsEC9p17flBVXPHJxiZkVcQjtVQaHSfDsg.png

Note: all seven images in this post are the result of separate COPY + PASTEs. :oldsurprised: The smileys turned out to be just the text characters.

I haven't tested what image formats are compatible with this feature. It doesn't work with all images, I'm not sure why, and it doesn't work for image files on your hard drive.

Now I suppose someone is going to tell me that PF has always had this feature!

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to How to post image to my thread?

1. How do I post an image to my thread?

To post an image to your thread, you will first need to click on the "insert image" button, which looks like a picture icon. Then, you can either upload an image from your computer or insert the link to the image from a website. Once the image is uploaded or the link is inserted, click on "insert" to add the image to your thread.

2. Can I post multiple images to my thread?

Yes, you can post multiple images to your thread by repeating the process of clicking on the "insert image" button and uploading or inserting the link for each image. You can also rearrange the order of the images by clicking and dragging them to the desired position.

3. What types of images can I post to my thread?

You can post various types of images to your thread, including JPEG, PNG, GIF, and BMP files. However, it is important to note that there may be size limitations for each image, so it is recommended to resize your images before posting them to ensure they are within the allowed size limit.

4. Can I edit or remove an image that I have already posted to my thread?

Yes, you can edit or remove an image that you have already posted to your thread. To edit the image, simply click on the image and select the "edit" option. To remove the image, click on the image and select the "delete" option. Keep in mind that once an image is deleted, it cannot be retrieved.

5. Is there a limit to the number of images I can post to my thread?

There may be a limit to the number of images you can post to your thread, depending on the platform or website you are using. It is best to check the guidelines or restrictions for the specific platform before posting a large number of images to your thread.