How to pay for Masters in the US

• Admissions
  • Thread starter iampaul
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Masters
In summary: Bear in mind, too, that many companies do hire out-of-country graduates with an MS.In summary, it would be advisable for Paul to consider moving to the US and getting a funded MS degree before continuing on to a Masters in Electrical Engineering in the Philippines.
iampaul
I am a US citizen. I was born in New York but I grew up in the Philippines. I am planning to take my Masters in Electrical Engineering specializing in IC design or Control Systems in the US, but when I checked the tuition/fees I learned that it would take a crazy amount of time to save up that much money. I've seen 35k plus dollars tuition at the university of california for non-resident students. That's 1.6M philippine pesos. My monthly salary as a test engineer is just 25k philippine pesos per month(540 USD). I am planning to take up my Masters to boost my chances of being accepted in an IC design position in the US or as a control/guidance systems engineer in aircaft companies. Since saving up for my Masters in the US is 'impossible', I'm planning to just save up for my ticket to the US which costs about 100k philippine pesos, while maybe taking up my Masters here in EE which is way cheaper (1000 pesos per unit) . I doubt this masters degree from the Philippines will get me a good job, but I am hoping that at least it would improve my chance of getting admitted into a graduate program, and to help prepare me for my Masters in the US. I am thinking of applying for TA,RA ,fellowship programs and even student loans to help pay for my masters.

Do you have any other recommendations? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It's rather tricky. If it's possible I would recommend you move back to the United States first and establish residency in a state. That should cut your potential cost of education in half. In California, that essentially means living in California for a year prior to starting school. In the meantime, you will hopefully be abel to find a job and save money to help reduce the burden of the cost.

Search for MS programs where you can be funded. They aren't as common as funded PhD programs but they do exist. This generally means they pay for your tuition and give you a stipend to cover room and board and the like in return for research and/or teaching duties.

Likes CalcNerd
Usually there is no domestic/versus international discount for MS programs and the odds of getting a funded MS degree as an applicant from abroad are next to zero. I would get my MS in the Philippines (perhaps get involved in a little research there), then move back to the US to begin the application process. Make sure your two MS programs have different titles - duplication would be frowned upon/discouraged.

There's plenty of schools besides those in the UC system, and plenty of places to live which are not as expensive as Cali.

If there is no opening for you in a UC school, it is wise to have a back-up of several alternate schools from which to choose.

I applied for undergrad admission to UC Berkeley 40 years ago, and I'm still waiting for a slot to open up. :wink:

Getting a funded MS is much less rare than you seem to be implying, @DrSteve. Given, it's far from a sure thing, but it would be foolish for @iampaul to not explore that option before committing to an MS back in the Phillippines if his goal is to end up here.

Last edited:

Related to How to pay for Masters in the US

1. How much does it cost to get a Masters degree in the US?

The cost of a Masters degree in the US can vary greatly depending on the program, school, and location. On average, tuition for a Masters degree can range from $20,000 to $50,000 per year. In addition to tuition, you will also need to consider the cost of living expenses, books, and other fees.

2. Are there any scholarships or financial aid available for Masters programs in the US?

Yes, there are various scholarships and financial aid options available for Masters programs in the US. These can include merit-based scholarships, need-based grants, and assistantships. It's important to research and apply for these opportunities early as they can be competitive.

3. Can I work while pursuing a Masters degree in the US?

Yes, international students on an F-1 visa are allowed to work on campus for up to 20 hours per week while enrolled in a Masters program. Some universities also offer opportunities for on-campus jobs related to your field of study. However, off-campus work is not allowed without proper authorization.

4. Can I take out loans to pay for my Masters degree in the US?

Yes, international students can take out loans from private lenders to help pay for their Masters degree in the US. However, it's important to carefully consider the terms and interest rates before taking out a loan. You may also need a co-signer who is a US citizen or permanent resident.

5. Are there any other expenses I should consider when budgeting for my Masters degree in the US?

In addition to tuition and living expenses, there are other costs to consider when budgeting for a Masters degree in the US. These can include health insurance, transportation, and visa fees. It's important to research and plan for these expenses to avoid any financial surprises during your studies.