How to obtain molecule length?

In summary, the conversation discusses the goal of calculating the length of octanthiols in full stretched all-trans configuration using Avogadro software. The structural formula is HS-C_7H_14-CH_3, an alkyl chain terminated with sulfur. There is a discussion about the accuracy of the results obtained and the use of covalent radii and geometry in the calculation. It is suggested to add the covalent radii of S-C and C-C bonds and apply geometric calculations to determine the total length.
diekatnoe
Hello everyone!

The goal is to calculate the length of octanthiols in full stretched all-trans configuration. The structural formula is HS-C_7H_17-CH_3 witch is an alkyl chain terminated with sulfur.

I used Avogadro software to build and model the structure. After i let it measure the distance from the head sulfur atom to the last carbon but i wonder how correct the results are. It says 10.xx Angström.

How would you perform such a calculation?

Greetings

Chemistry news on Phys.org
There some discussion here along with a table describing measured length for single and double bonds based on atomic number:

http://chemwiki.ucdavis.edu/Core/Th...es_of_Chemical_Bonding/Bond_Order_and_Lengths

and the table:

http://chemwiki.ucdavis.edu/Reference/Reference_Tables/Atomic_and_Molecular_Properties/A3:_Covalent_Radii

There are probably other things beside bond length such as its geometry and how its folded that you must consider as well in your calculation. However, someone more knowledgeable than me will have to answer that.

If it is just a full stretched all-trans configuration it sounds like a simple geometry problem - angles are known and bond lengths are quite constant in such a setup.

Are you sure about the -C7H17- part? Not -C7H14- ?

Last edited:
Yeah its ##H_{14}## thank you!

So what i extraxt after reading the articles is the following method: add covalent radii of S-C and C-C bonds and divide it by 2 to get the bond length. Then apply geometric calculation witch respects the angles to get the total length.

Thank you!

Related to How to obtain molecule length?

1. How do I obtain the length of a molecule?

The length of a molecule can be obtained through a process called molecular modeling. This involves using computer software to simulate the structure of the molecule and measure the distance between its atoms.

2. Can I measure the length of a molecule experimentally?

Yes, the length of a molecule can be measured experimentally using various techniques such as X-ray crystallography, nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy, or atomic force microscopy.

3. Is the length of a molecule constant?

No, the length of a molecule can vary depending on its environment and the state it is in. For example, a molecule in a liquid state may have a slightly different length compared to the same molecule in a solid state.

4. How accurate are the measurements of molecule length?

The accuracy of molecule length measurements depends on the method used. Experimental techniques such as X-ray crystallography and NMR spectroscopy can provide highly accurate measurements, while molecular modeling may have some margin of error.

5. Can molecule length affect its properties?

Yes, the length of a molecule can affect its properties such as solubility, reactivity, and stability. For example, longer molecules may have stronger intermolecular forces and therefore be less soluble in certain solvents.