How to Normalize a Wavefunction with Modulus x?

In summary: That's right.In summary, the student is trying to normalize a wavefunction given by: psi(x) = A {x} < a. The student is unclear about what to square in order to normalize the function. They are aware that the square integrable of the wavefunction needs to be set equal to 1, but don't know what to square. They are helped by the fact that the integral of any function is the area under the graph. The student is then told to use the equivalent equation: psi(x) = A\frac{e^x}{e^x} for |x| < a. If x is needed in the definition of the function, then the
Jimmy87

Homework Statement

Normalise the wavefunction in the diagram which is given by:

psi(x) = A {x} < a

{x} is supposed to be mod x.

Homework Equations

None specifically

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the square integral of the wavefunction needs to be set equal to 1. I am unsure exactly what I square as I haven't seen a wave-function written with a mod x. I know that mod x just means x with positive values. I know I need to square the wavefunction first so would that be:

psi(x) squared = A^2 a^2?

The answer for the square integrable of this wavefunction is A^2(2a) according to my textbook but they don't show you how. You would then have to choose A equal to 1/sqrt 2a and plug that into the original function to normalise it. I don't see how the square integral is A^2(2a) unless you take the area of the graph to be the integral of the function which is A(2a) but then if you square this then you get A^2(2a)^2?

upload_2016-1-18_19-2-35.png

Physics news on Phys.org
The wavefunction should be written like
$$
\psi(x) = A \hspace{0.5cm} \textrm{for} \hspace{2mm} |x|<a
$$
and zero otherwise. A mathematical expression like ##|x|<a## is equivalent to ##-a<x<a##.

The normalization reads as
$$
\int_{-\infty}^\infty |\psi(x)|^2 = 1
$$
What do you get if you calculate the left side using the given wavefunction?

Likes Jimmy87
blue_leaf77 said:
$$
$$
and zero otherwise. A mathematical expression like ##|x|<a## is equivalent to ##-a<x<a##.

The normalization reads as
$$
\int_{-\infty}^\infty |\psi(x)|^2 = 1
$$
What do you get if you calculate the left side using the given wavefunction?

Yes sorry, what you wrote is exactly what is written in my textbook. This is what I am not sure about. I know I need to square the function first so I will get A^2 but I don't know what else to square is mod x part of the actual function or not? I can't actually get my teeth into this function. I am happy taking the square integral of complex exponentials but this simple one has thrown me!

Jimmy87 said:
is mod x part of the actual function or not?
I was aware that that's part of your confusion, that's why I purposely added "for" to the right of the wavefunction.
blue_leaf77 said:
$$
$$
and zero otherwise.
The above lines describe the nature of ##\psi(x)##. This just means that ##\psi(x)## has values of zero within ##-a## and ##a##, and zero outside this range. Now you have to incorporate this behavior of ##\psi(x)## into the normalization integral.

blue_leaf77 said:
I was aware that that's part of your confusion, that's why I purposely added "for" to the right of the wavefunction.

The above lines describe the nature of ##\psi(x)##. This just means that ##\psi(x)## has values of zero within ##-a## and ##a##, and zero outside this range. Now you have to incorporate this behavior of ##\psi(x)## into the normalization integral.

Thanks. Could you give me some guidance on how to do this? Since the integral of any function is the area under the graph can I not say that the integral for ##\psi(x)## is A(2a)?

Jimmy87 said:
Since the integral of any function is the area under the graph can I not say that the integral for ##\psi(x)## is A(2a)?
That's right except for that the "graph" you are talking about should be ##|\psi(x)|^2##, instead of ##\psi(x)##.

Jimmy87 said:
Yes sorry, what you wrote is exactly what is written in my textbook. This is what I am not sure about. I know I need to square the function first so I will get A^2 but I don't know what else to square is mod x part of the actual function or not? I can't actually get my teeth into this function. I am happy taking the square integral of complex exponentials but this simple one has thrown me!

I recall someone else had a similar problem recently when they couldn't accept a constant as a function, because it didn't have x in it. Try the equivalent

##\Psi(x) = A\frac{e^x}{e^x}## for ## |x| < a##

If you need x in your definition of a function.

Likes Jimmy87
blue_leaf77 said:
That's right except for that the "graph" you are talking about should be ##|\psi(x)|^2##, instead of ##\psi(x)##.

Thanks for your help. Ok so I think I get it. In my graph do we call the y-axis Ψ(x). So |ψ(x)|2 would be the square of that graph which means the amplitude A would become A^2. And the integral will be the area underneath the |ψ(x)|2 graph which would be A^2(2a), namely height multiplied by width?

Jimmy87 said:
Thanks for your help. Ok so I think I get it. In my graph do we call the y-axis Ψ(x). So |ψ(x)|2 would be the square of that graph which means the amplitude A would become A^2. And the integral will be the area underneath the |ψ(x)|2 graph which would be A^2(2a), namely height multiplied by width?
Yes.

Likes Jimmy87
blue_leaf77 said:
Yes.

Thanks. The solution to the normalisation is A is set equal to 1/sqrt2a. This means that when you take the square integral of the original function using limits of -a to +a using this expression for A you should get 1. Is there a way of showing this mathematically by actually plugging in the limits and doing the integration as you would normally. For example if you square your new wavefunction you get 1/2a. And you can't really integrate this the usual way as you would end upw ith the integral of 1/a which is ln(a). I can see how you get it by using the area of the graph as the integral because then you get 1/2a multiplied by 2a which gives 1.

Jimmy87 said:
Is there a way of showing this mathematically by actually plugging in the limits and doing the integration as you would normally. For example if you square your new wavefunction you get 1/2a. And you can't really integrate this the usual way as you would end upw ith the integral of 1/a which is ln(a). I can see how you get it by using the area of the graph as the integral because then you get 1/2a multiplied by 2a which gives 1.
When you have a function that is defined by parts, the integral looks like
$$
\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(x) dx = \int_{-\infty}^{-a} f(x) dx + \int_{-a}^{a} f(x) dx + \int_{a}^{\infty} f(x) dx
$$
In your case, on the right hand side, the first and last integrals are 0 because ##f(x)=0## over those ranges.

Likes Jimmy87
DrClaude said:
When you have a function that is defined by parts, the integral looks like
$$
\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(x) dx = \int_{-\infty}^{-a} f(x) dx + \int_{-a}^{a} f(x) dx + \int_{a}^{\infty} f(x) dx
$$
In your case, on the right hand side, the first and last integrals are 0 because ##f(x)=0## over those ranges.

Thanks. But with the middle integral are you not taking the integral of 1/2a and then evaluating from -a to +a? How do you end up with one from that integral?

Jimmy87 said:
But with the middle integral are you not taking the integral of 1/2a and then evaluating from -a to +a?
I just wrote a generic function ##f(x)##. In your case, ##f(x) = \left| \psi(x) \right|^2##.

Jimmy87 said:
Thanks. The solution to the normalisation is A is set equal to 1/sqrt2a. This means that when you take the square integral of the original function using limits of -a to +a using this expression for A you should get 1. Is there a way of showing this mathematically by actually plugging in the limits and doing the integration as you would normally. For example if you square your new wavefunction you get 1/2a. And you can't really integrate this the usual way as you would end upw ith the integral of 1/a which is ln(a). I can see how you get it by using the area of the graph as the integral because then you get 1/2a multiplied by 2a which gives 1.
You've really got a problem with the constant function. There's not much to say except that the integral of the constant function 1/a is most certainly not ln(a). It's x/a. And that's just about the simplest integral there is.

Likes Jimmy87
PeroK said:
You've really got a problem with the constant function. There's not much to say except that the integral of the constant function 1/a is most certainly not ln(a). It's x/a. And that's just about the simplest integral there is.

Yes it is really strange I can't quite grasp it as I find other complex integrations such as gaussian functions fine. So in this problem we are integrating 1/a with respect to what? x? So are you saying that the integral of a constant with respect to x is x times the constant?

Jimmy87 said:
So are you saying that the integral of a constant with respect to x is x times the constant?
Yes:
$$
\int A \, dx = A \int dx = A x
$$

DrClaude said:
Yes:
$$
\int A \, dx = A \int dx = A x
$$

Ok, I see so I have done this to show what I think you mean for the problem in question. So is this what you mean I should get:

upload_2016-1-18_22-15-27.png

Jimmy87 said:
Ok, I see so I have done this to show what I think you mean for the problem in question. So is this what you mean I should get:
Correct!

Likes Jimmy87
DrClaude said:
Correct!
Thank you!

Related to How to Normalize a Wavefunction with Modulus x?

1. What is the purpose of normalising a wavefunction?

Normalising a wavefunction is important because it ensures that the probability of finding a particle in all possible locations is equal to 1. This means that the total probability of finding the particle somewhere in space is 100%, which is necessary for accurate quantum mechanical calculations.

2. How is a wavefunction normalised?

A wavefunction is normalised by dividing it by its norm, which is the square root of the integral of the wavefunction squared over all space. This process ensures that the probability density remains consistent throughout all possible locations in space.

3. Can any wavefunction be normalised?

Yes, any wavefunction can be normalised as long as it is square integrable, meaning that the integral of the wavefunction squared over all space is finite.

4. What happens if a wavefunction is not normalised?

If a wavefunction is not normalised, it means that the total probability of finding the particle in all possible locations is less than 100%. This can lead to inaccurate predictions and calculations in quantum mechanics.

5. Is normalising a wavefunction necessary for all quantum mechanical systems?

Yes, normalising a wavefunction is necessary for all quantum mechanical systems in order to accurately describe the behavior and properties of particles. It is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics and is essential for making reliable predictions and calculations.