How to model a permanent magnet?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of analytically finding the magnetic field from a permanent magnet, including considerations of the magnet as a lattice, calculating the magnetic dipole moment of each molecule, and the effects of temperature and molecular interactions on magnetization. It also mentions the exchange interaction and the quantum mechanical nature of these concepts.
omoplata
This is sort of a thought experiment. I want to find out if my approach to this is correct.

How can I analytically find the magnetic field from a permanent magnet?

My approach would be to consider the magnet to be a lattice, with each lattice point being a molecule with a magnetic dipole moment [tex]\vec{\mu}[/tex] (CAN typical permanent magnets be considered to be this kind of lattices?). Then I would calculate the magnetic field [tex]\vec{B_{i}}(\vec{r})[/tex] due a magnetic moment at a generic position vector [tex]\vec{r}[/tex]. Spatial integration over the whole magnet would give me the total magnetic field [tex]\vec{B(\vec{r})}[/tex] at [tex]\vec{r}[/tex].

How do I calculate the magnetic dipole moment of each molecule?

If a typical permanent magnet indeed is a lattice, what makes all of them align in the same direction so all the magnetic dipole moments add up?

How does temperature affect this? Wouldn't the molecules oscillate as the temperature increases, and be less aligned in one direction as a whole?

How would the molecules affect each other? Would it be like the Ising model (I just learned about it), only more complex? Would they affect each other quantum mechanically, interfering with each others wavefunctions?

Do solid state physicists try to model magnets like this in real life?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
omoplata said:
How can I analytically find the magnetic field from a permanent magnet?

With some difficulty I imagine. I assume we're talking about ferromagnets as opposed to ferrimagnets? Ferromagnets are actually split into domains where most atomic magnetic moments are aligned. However separate domains may not be aligned ...

omoplata said:
How do I calculate the magnetic dipole moment of each molecule?

Working out dipole moments of molecules is very difficult I think, whereas single atomic moments are easier to calculate with rough accuracy. It requires a knowledge of how the electrons in each atom are filling the outer orbital levels (Hunds rules), and then from there it is possible to estimate the magnetic moment of the atom/ion.

omoplata said:
If a typical permanent magnet indeed is a lattice, what makes all of them align in the same direction so all the magnetic dipole moments add up?

The interaction between neighbouring magnetic dipoles is almost negligible in a ferromagnet. The dominant interaction is the exchange interaction.

omoplata said:
How does temperature affect this? Wouldn't the molecules oscillate as the temperature increases, and be less aligned in one direction as a whole?
Yes, the degree of magnetisation is heavily dependant on temperature. Read about Curie's Law.
omoplata said:
How would the molecules affect each other? Would it be like the Ising model (I just learned about it), only more complex? Would they affect each other quantum mechanically, interfering with each others wavefunctions?
Again: see exchange interaction. Also at the atomic distance scale everything is quantum mechanical!

Thanks! I will look into the concepts you have mentioned.

Related to How to model a permanent magnet?

1. What materials are commonly used to model a permanent magnet?

The most commonly used materials for modeling a permanent magnet are neodymium iron boron (NdFeB) and samarium cobalt (SmCo) due to their high magnetic strength and resistance to demagnetization.

2. What factors should be considered when modeling a permanent magnet?

When modeling a permanent magnet, factors such as the magnet's shape, size, material, and the presence of any external fields should be taken into consideration. The surrounding environment and temperature can also affect the magnet's behavior.

3. What techniques can be used to model a permanent magnet?

Some commonly used techniques for modeling a permanent magnet include the finite element method (FEM), boundary element method (BEM), and the method of moments (MoM). These methods use mathematical equations to simulate the magnetic field and behavior of the magnet.

4. How accurate are computer models of permanent magnets?

The accuracy of computer models of permanent magnets depends on the complexity of the model and the accuracy of the input parameters. With proper calibration and validation, computer models can provide a high level of accuracy in predicting the behavior of permanent magnets.

5. Are there any software programs available for modeling permanent magnets?

Yes, there are several software programs available for modeling permanent magnets, such as ANSYS Maxwell, COMSOL Multiphysics, and MagNet. These programs offer various features and capabilities for simulating the behavior of permanent magnets in different environments.