How to measure angular velocity and what is the unit of angular veloci

In summary: As for your first question, since the object is traveling at .9c when released, that is also the speed it was traveling at in circular motion. The velocity vector changes direction constantly, but the speed remains the same.
Sreenath Skr
Let's say i spin an object around me with a greate velocity.
At some point, i leave that object and it moves in a straight direction with a velocity of 0.9c.
If so what was its velocity while it was revolving around me? How do i experes it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sreenath Skr said:
Let's say i spin an object around me with a greate velocity.
At some point, i leave that object and it moves in a straight direction with a velocity of 0.9c.
If so what was its velocity while it was revolving around me?

If you have an object attached to a string and spin it around above your head at a steady speed, that's a model of uniform circular motion:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_circular_motion#Uniform

Speed is a rate of motion. In physics, velocity also includes direction. The speed is consistent but the velocity constantly changes because the velocity vector is always tangent to the circumference of the circle. If the object travels at .9c when released, that is also the speed it was traveling at in circular motion.

How do I experes it?

I'm not sure what part of the process you're asking about. Is it the circular motion, the speed, velocity vector...? Perhaps the link to the wiki will help explain more.

EDIT: I just noticed the title of your post indicates angular velocity. Units for that would radians/sec. The wiki link includes formulas and units for everything related to angular velocity.

Last edited:
I have a question about the reverse thought in this original question. If it was possible to spin this object around at 0.9c what would happen to the speed of the "object" if you were to pull it in toward you? Wouldn't conservation of angular momentum (say in a vacuum) cause the "object" to increase its speed until it was traveling at greater than c or would it's increasing mass simply cause the center (you, in this thought experiment) to slow its rotation so that the "object" never could increase to this greater than c velocity?

MikusF318 said:
I have a question about the reverse thought in this original question. If it was possible to spin this object around at 0.9c what would happen to the speed of the "object" if you were to pull it in toward you? Wouldn't conservation of angular momentum (say in a vacuum) cause the "object" to increase its speed until it was traveling at greater than c...

Although the OP specified .9c as the rate of motion, the explanations have been O.K. so far using classical modeling. Your new question requires moving into relativistic modeling.

...or would it's increasing mass simply cause the center (you, in this thought experiment) to slow its rotation so that the "object" never could increase to this greater than c velocity?

Increasing mass is an historical explanation that has fallen by the wayside in modern physics. Terminology today usually means "inertial mass" - the mass when measured in a "rest frame". "Additional mass" due to relative velocity has been reclassified/translated to relative kinetic energy. This makes great sense because it agrees with how different observers measure and confirm consistent metrics that consistently adhere to the physical laws of 'systems'. (Standing by for corrections from knowledgeable members if my terminology is lacking... :smile:)

To move on with your question, I think it could be O.K. to separate the relativistic velocity aspects from the angular motion. We also need to introduce an observer, and that would be you. Whether you attempt to add velocity to a mass in a circular motion or a straight path, mathematical transformations of relativity will introduce time dilation, length contraction, and other aspects that are dependent on the frame of the observer. Without drilling deeper into relativistic aspects, any perceived addition to the relative rate of motion of the object on the 'string' will adhere to relativistic formulas for adding velocities. This will always keep the relative speed less than c.

TumblingDice said:
If the object travels at .9c when released, that is also the speed it was traveling at in circular motion.

But i can't say it was traveling at 0.9c in cirular motion. Circular motion is accelerative so i mean there has to be a way to tell it

Like this 0.9crad/sec²?

Sreenath Skr said:
But i can't say it was traveling at 0.9c in cirular motion. Circular motion is accelerative so i mean there has to be a way to tell it

Like this 0.9crad/sec²?

The acceleration in circular motion is perpendicular to the circumference of the circle. The velocity vector remains tangent to the circumference. Take a look at the graphic illustrations in the wiki link. You'll see v(t) is always tangent to the circumference and is the direction the object will continue along when released.

The angular velocity cannot be calculated without knowing the radius of the circle.

...and what is the unit of angular veloci

Radians per second.

Related to How to measure angular velocity and what is the unit of angular veloci

1. What is angular velocity and how is it measured?

Angular velocity is a measure of how fast an object is rotating around a fixed point. It is measured in radians per second (rad/s) or degrees per second (°/s). To measure angular velocity, you need to measure the change in the angle of rotation over a certain period of time.

2. What is the difference between angular velocity and linear velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of rotational speed, while linear velocity is a measure of straight-line speed. Angular velocity is expressed in units of angle over time, while linear velocity is expressed in units of distance over time.

3. How is angular velocity related to linear velocity?

Angular velocity and linear velocity are related by the radius of the circle or arc being rotated. The linear velocity is equal to the angular velocity multiplied by the radius of the circle or arc.

4. How do you convert between radians per second and degrees per second?

To convert from radians per second to degrees per second, multiply the value by 180/π. To convert from degrees per second to radians per second, multiply the value by π/180.

5. What are some common applications of measuring angular velocity?

Measuring angular velocity is important in a variety of fields, such as physics, engineering, and robotics. Some common applications include measuring the speed of rotating machinery, determining the angular velocity of a spinning object in sports, and tracking the movements of celestial objects in astronomy.