How to mark a "measles ball" for practicing Snooker spin

• Thread starter dejarnett
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball Spin
In summary, the simplest way to determine where to place the dots on a "measles ball" is to center them at the centers of the faces of the circumscribed cube or octahedron.
dejarnett
Please excuse me if it's not appropriate to post this question here, but since this group has knowledge of both math and snooker...

I'm wanting to make my own "measles ball" for practicing spin on the cue ball. These are cue balls with 6 dots perfectly/evenly spaced on the ball so you can see which direction and how much it is spinning.

Question is: what is the simplest way to figure out where to place each dot should be drawn?

The reason I don't just buy one is that they don't seem to be available for American Snooker (2 1/8" ball).

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
By the way, I know there are algorithms for placing N equidistant points on a sphere, but what I'm looking for would be instructions on a more practical level like, "draw the first spot, then position the ball so that..."

It's really not that important to me that it be exactly 6 spots, if there's a much simpler way to do this by changing the number, but 6 spots seem to be the standard for some reason. I also have a laser level that I could use to shine 90 degree lines down (cross) on the ball if that would help.

dejarnett said:
Question is: what is the simplest way to figure out where to place each dot should be drawn?

At the centers of the faces of the circumscribed cube. (Or equivalently, at the vertices of the inscribed octahedron)

Likes CWatters
Make a 2 1/8" sided box and drill holes in each face. Place ball in box... Alternatively use proper sized balls.

Cheers

Exactly - thanks for the help (correct me if I'm wrong, but for American Snooker, 2 1/8 balls are used)

dejarnett said:
Exactly - thanks for the help (correct me if I'm wrong, but for American Snooker, 2 1/8 balls are used)

I didn't know there was such a thing as American Snooker, it's sacrilegious :-)

Cheers

Yes, I'm sure 99% of people in the UK would feel that way. Pool is a great game, but I really wish snooker would catch on more in the US.

I have a 10' American Snooker table in my den, and that's the only game my young nephews saw for several years. When they first saw a pool table at a family reunion, the balls and pockets seemed so big that they said, "is this real?"

I'm sure a 12' UK snooker table would be even more challenging, with the 2 1/15 balls and tiny pockets.

Related to How to mark a "measles ball" for practicing Snooker spin

1. What is a "measles ball" and why is it used for practicing Snooker spin?

A "measles ball" is a Snooker ball that has been marked with small dots or spots to simulate the appearance of a real measles ball. It is used for practicing Snooker spin because the spots provide a visual reference for players to see how the ball is spinning and how it reacts to different shots.

2. How do I mark a "measles ball" for practicing Snooker spin?

To mark a "measles ball", you will need a permanent marker or a set of stickers. Place the ball on a flat surface and carefully mark or stick small dots or spots evenly around the surface of the ball. Make sure the marks are visible but not too large, as they may affect the ball's roll.

3. Can I use any type of ball to practice Snooker spin?

While you can technically use any type of ball, it is best to use a Snooker ball or a similar sized and weighted ball. This will provide the most accurate practice for Snooker spin as the weight and size of the ball will affect how it spins and reacts on the table.

4. How can I use a "measles ball" to improve my Snooker spin?

Once you have marked your "measles ball", you can use it in various ways to improve your Snooker spin. Practice hitting different shots and observe how the ball spins and reacts. You can also use the ball to practice specific spin shots, such as topspin, backspin, and side spin.

5. Are there any other tools or techniques I can use to practice Snooker spin?

In addition to a "measles ball", you can also use a Snooker cue with a special training tip or a cue with a detachable ferrule to practice spin shots. There are also various training aids and drills that can help improve your Snooker spin, such as the "clock face" drill or the "tip control" drill.