Quick question about my web browser

• Thread starter Sting
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Web
In summary, the person is having trouble getting the menu bar to come back after using IE for a while. They have tried different things and are still not sure how to fix the issue.
Sting
My Internet browser (IE) loses the menu bar (?) (the bar with File, Edit, etc.) occasionally.

I've tried everything possible and I can't get the menu bar to come back. I know there is some sort of secret to it and I just can't figure it out. Anyone have a clue?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Use firebird or opera. That will solve your problem.

Try pressing "Alt-f" to see if you can uncover it. I'm pretty sure someone had this same problem a while ago. Try doing a search on this forum for it.

Originally posted by Sting
My Internet browser (IE) loses the menu bar (?) (the bar with File, Edit, etc.) occasionally.
Yes, it is called the Menu bar.
I've tried everything possible and I can't get the menu bar to come back. I know there is some sort of secret to it and I just can't figure it out. Anyone have a clue?
You may be going into Full Screen mode. In IE6 you switch in and out of this mode by pressing F11.

Good luck

Thanks for the replies.

Dduardo, I've tried alt + f and it didn't work, but I know there is something along those lines that will get back my menu bar. I'm afraid to experiment out of fear of further screwing up the browser :wink:

Boulderhead, I know what you are referring to when you mention full-screen mode. Unfortunetly, the address bar and the row with back, forward, stop, refresh, etc. are in "normal" mode (not-full screen). If I hit f11, it goes into fullscreen mode as you said it would, but when I toggle the f11 again, it goes back to its normal mode and the menu bar is still missing.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Sting,
Are you using win98 and IE version 5?

You might try booting into safemode which will cause Explorer to set some of its settings back to default (this may not affect IE, however).

There are some Start > Run commands that might also help, although simply reinstalling IE might be worth considering.

[edit]
Reinstalling IE6;

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=318378

Menu Bar Disappears After Using Internet Explorer for a While;
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=234012 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you see any other (tool)bar?

What is a web browser?

A web browser is a software application used to access and view websites on the internet. Some popular examples include Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Safari.

How do I update my web browser?

Most web browsers have an option to automatically update to the latest version. You can also check for updates in the browser's settings or by visiting the browser's website.

Why is my web browser running slow?

There are a few possible reasons for a slow web browser. It could be due to too many open tabs, outdated browser, or slow internet connection. Clearing the cache and cookies, closing unnecessary tabs, and restarting the browser can help improve its performance.

Can I change my default web browser?

Yes, you can change your default web browser in your computer's settings. This will make the chosen browser open automatically when you click on a link.

How do I clear my browsing history?

To clear your browsing history, you can go to the settings or options menu in your web browser. From there, you should see an option to clear history or browsing data. You can choose what data you want to delete, such as cookies, cache, and browsing history.