How to make the best collimator using a system of lenses?

• I
  • Thread starter DhruvSorathiyaPhysic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lenses System
In summary, the Student Satellite team from IIT Bombay is seeking advice on how to create a collimator lens system that can convert diverging rays from an LCD screen into parallel rays with minimal aberrations. They have identified that using a system of lenses with different focal lengths and refractive indices is preferable to a single lens. Their question is how to create such a system to collimate an LCD image.
DhruvSorathiyaPhysic
I want to make a collimator lens which can convert the diverging rays from and LCD at finite distance screen into parallel rays.
But in order to reduce the aberrations, using system of lens is preferable than using a single lens. Can you suggest the way to create this kind of system please. I need focal length around 130 cm.

regard,
Student Satellite team
IIT Bombay

Science news on Phys.org
You know the formula from the preceding thread ...

What aberrations, precisely ?

Make a sketch of the situation !

##\ ##

Likes Twigg and berkeman
first of all thanks for helping.
Aberration types are nothing but Aspherical and Chromatic.
Any lens will definitely create some aberration but we don't want that right ? So I Found somewhere that using system of lens which have different focal length and different refractive index instead of a single lens reduces aberration. So my question is that how can we make system of lenses which can collimate a LCD image.

DhruvSorathiyaPhysic said:
first of all thanks for helping.
Aberration types are nothing but Aspherical and Chromatic.
Any lens will definitely create some aberration but we don't want that right ? So I Found somewhere that using system of lens which have different focal length and different refractive index instead of a single lens reduces aberration. So my question is that how can we make system of lenses which can collimate a LCD image.
How are you related to the other/first user @DhruvSorathiya ?

• Love
Likes davenn
berkeman said:
How are you related to the other/first user
I'm guessing what you are already thinking ... :wink: :biggrin:

Likes berkeman

Related to How to make the best collimator using a system of lenses?

1. How many lenses should be used in a collimator system?

The number of lenses used in a collimator system depends on the specific design and purpose of the collimator. In general, a single lens can be used for simple collimation, while multiple lenses may be necessary for more complex collimation requirements.

2. What is the best material for collimator lenses?

The best material for collimator lenses depends on the wavelength of light being used and the desired level of precision. Generally, materials with high refractive indices, such as glass or specialized plastics, are preferred for their ability to bend light at sharper angles.

3. How can I ensure the collimator system produces a narrow beam of light?

To achieve a narrow beam of light, the lenses in the collimator system must be carefully aligned and have precise focal lengths. Additionally, using lenses with smaller diameters and higher refractive indices can also help produce a narrower beam of light.

4. Can a collimator system be used for different wavelengths of light?

Yes, a collimator system can be designed to work with multiple wavelengths of light. However, the lenses used in the system may need to be optimized for each specific wavelength to ensure accurate collimation.

5. Are there any potential sources of error in a collimator system?

Yes, there are several potential sources of error in a collimator system, including misalignment of lenses, imperfections in the lenses themselves, and variations in the wavelength or intensity of the light source. Regular maintenance and calibration can help minimize these errors.