How to make statistics on a formula

In summary: I hope this helps in your further analysis and understanding of your formula. Thank you. In summary, we discussed the conditions for two quantities to be similar, analyzed the terms in your equation, and proved that f(x,t) approaches 0 as both x and t approach infinity, which in turn proves that f(x,t)\sim a(x,t).
matteo86bo
Hi everyone,
I've derived a formula which computes a certain quantity. This is the equation:

[tex]

f(x,t)=a(x,t)-\frac{1}{n}b(x)f(x,t)^{(1-n)/n}\frac{\partial f(x,t)}{\partial t}

[/tex]

I need to prove that [tex] f(x,t)\sim a(x,t)[/tex].

All I have is that [tex] 0.5 < n < 2 [/tex], [tex] b(x)[/tex] is a decreasing function of x (almost exponential) and [tex] f(x,t) = 1 +(c(x)-1)t[/tex] where [tex] c(x)[/tex] is another decreasing function of x.

I tried several things but I do not want to bias you answers.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello forum member,

Thank you for sharing your equation and asking for help in proving that f(x,t)\sim a(x,t). I understand the importance of being able to prove the validity of our equations and formulas.

To begin with, let us define what it means for two quantities to be similar. In mathematics, two quantities are said to be similar if they have the same order of magnitude or if one can be approximated by the other. In other words, if the ratio of the two quantities approaches 1 as the values of the variables approach infinity.

In your equation, we can see that f(x,t) is a function of both x and t, while a(x,t) is only a function of x. This means that in order to prove that f(x,t)\sim a(x,t), we need to show that the ratio of the two quantities approaches 1 as both x and t approach infinity.

To begin with, let us consider the term \frac{1}{n}b(x)f(x,t)^{(1-n)/n}. We know that 0.5 < n < 2, which means that the exponent in the term is always negative. As b(x) is a decreasing function of x, this term will approach 0 as x approaches infinity. This means that we can ignore this term in our analysis.

Next, let us look at the term \frac{\partial f(x,t)}{\partial t}. From your equation, we can see that f(x,t) = 1 +(c(x)-1)t, where c(x) is a decreasing function of x. This means that as t approaches infinity, f(x,t) will approach 1. As a result, the derivative of f(x,t) with respect to t will approach 0 as t approaches infinity.

Now, let us look at the term a(x,t). As we mentioned earlier, this term is only a function of x and does not depend on t. As x approaches infinity, a(x,t) will also approach infinity. This means that the ratio of f(x,t) and a(x,t) will approach 0 as x and t approach infinity, which proves that f(x,t)\sim a(x,t).

In conclusion, based on the given conditions of 0.5 < n < 2, b(x) being a decreasing function of x

Related to How to make statistics on a formula

1. How do I determine which statistical test to use for a formula?

In order to determine the appropriate statistical test for a formula, you must first identify the type of data you are working with (categorical, continuous, etc.). Then, consider the research question you are trying to answer and the assumptions of different statistical tests. Consulting a statistics textbook or speaking with a statistician can also be helpful in selecting the correct test.

2. What is the difference between descriptive and inferential statistics?

Descriptive statistics involve summarizing and describing a set of data, while inferential statistics involve making predictions or generalizations about a larger population based on a sample of data. In other words, descriptive statistics describe what is currently known, while inferential statistics make inferences about what is not currently known.

3. How do I interpret the results of a statistical test on a formula?

Interpreting the results of a statistical test involves understanding the p-value, which indicates the likelihood of obtaining the observed results by chance. A p-value of less than 0.05 is typically considered statistically significant, meaning that the results are not likely due to chance. Additionally, examining the effect size can provide information about the strength and magnitude of the relationship between variables.

4. Can I use statistics to prove causation?

No, statistics cannot prove causation. Correlation does not necessarily indicate causation, and there may be other variables or factors that are responsible for the observed relationship. However, statistics can provide evidence to support causal relationships when used in conjunction with other research methods.

5. How can I ensure the accuracy and reliability of my statistical analysis on a formula?

To ensure the accuracy and reliability of statistical analysis, it is important to carefully plan and design the study, collect high-quality data, and use appropriate statistical methods. It is also important to consider potential biases and limitations in the data and results, and to replicate the study to confirm the findings.