How to Make a Laser That Burns Paper: Tips for Using Multiple Convex Lenses

• Thread starter Scienceislifeforme
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laser Lenses
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using either 2 or 3 convex lenses or 1 convex, 1 concave, and 1 convex lens to make a laser that can burn paper. However, it is suggested that using sunlight and a magnifying glass may be a more cost-effective option.
Scienceislifeforme
I want to make a laser to burn paper so if i use 2 or 3 convex lenses with a laser will it be helpful . Or can i use 1convex then 1 concave and then 1convex to make it

Science news on Phys.org
Why would you use a concave one?

Scienceislifeforme said:
I want to make a laser to burn paper so if i use 2 or 3 convex lenses with a laser will it be helpful . Or can i use 1convex then 1 concave and then 1convex to make it
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

You should probably just stick with using sunlight and a magnifying glass. A laser with enough power to start burning a spot on paper would cost many thousands of dollars. If you are in university, you may be able to ask the appropriate physics professor for a tour of the laser lab...

Related to How to Make a Laser That Burns Paper: Tips for Using Multiple Convex Lenses

What are the different types of lenses used for laser applications?

There are three main types of lenses used for laser applications: plano-convex lenses, biconvex lenses, and aspherical lenses. Plano-convex lenses have one flat and one curved surface, while biconvex lenses have two curved surfaces. Aspherical lenses have a more complex surface shape and are used for correcting aberrations in laser beams.

How do lenses for laser differ from regular lenses?

Lenses for laser are specifically designed to handle the high power and intensity of laser beams. They are made from materials that can withstand the heat and pressure of the laser, and are coated to minimize reflections and improve transmission of the laser beam.

What factors should be considered when selecting a lens for a laser system?

The main factors to consider when selecting a lens for a laser system are the laser's wavelength, power, and beam diameter. These factors will determine the type of lens material and coating needed, as well as the lens's focal length and diameter.

How do I clean and maintain lenses for laser?

Lenses for laser should be handled carefully and cleaned regularly to maintain their performance. Use a lint-free cloth and a gentle cleaning solution to wipe away any dirt or debris. It is important to avoid touching the lens surface with your fingers and to store the lenses in a clean, dry place when not in use.

Can lenses for laser be used for multiple wavelengths?

Some lenses for laser are designed to work with a specific wavelength, while others may have a broader range of compatibility. It is important to check the specifications of the lens before using it with a different laser wavelength to ensure optimal performance.