How to light Coal with matches only

• Thread starter Lord Dark
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coal Light
In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for lighting coal using only matches. The two ideas proposed are mixing coal with sulfur or petroleum fuel. The safety and potential smell of these methods are also questioned. Other ideas are requested, including using coal dust, which can ignite easily with a single match. However, caution is advised when using petroleum with matches. One person suggests using a candle wick to light the coal, but there are concerns about the smell and difficulty in sticking the wick to the coal. The possibility of using oily perfume to mask the smell is also mentioned.
Lord Dark
Hi everyone ,,

Am doing a project and I want to light coal with matches only ,, I have 2 Ideas only , mix coal with sulfur or mix it with petroleum fuel .. I want to know will it light using any of those methods ?? with only matches ? Is it safe ? and will there be any smell out of it ??

If anyone have any other ideas on how to light coal please share ..

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Lump of coal? Coal dust?

Think about it: it is not possible to ignite a timber, but splinter will ignite right away.

it is coal dust .. will it ignite with only 1 matches ?

thx a lot ,, i'll try it at home :D

Better not.

I used light coal instead of powder. Am lighting it using a candle wick on top of it .. Doing that I noticed 2 things , the string make a smell and it is hard to stick the candle wick on top of the coal. Is there a solution for those 2 problems ??

If I mix the candle wick with oily perfume, would that change the smell ??
How can I stick the candle wick to the coal ?? is there a way ?

Do not repeat not try using petroleum with a match, unless you want a Darwin Award.

Related to How to light Coal with matches only

1. How can I light coal with matches only?

To light coal with matches only, you will need to follow a few steps. First, gather your supplies, which include coal, matches, and kindling (small sticks or paper). Next, place the kindling on the bottom of your fire pit or grill, and stack the coal on top. Then, light the matches and carefully place them under the kindling. As the kindling catches fire, it will ignite the coal. Finally, add more coal gradually to build your fire.

2. Why is it important to use matches only when lighting coal?

Using matches only to light coal is important because they produce a flame that is hot enough to ignite the coal. Other heat sources, such as lighters or blowtorches, may not generate enough heat to start the coal burning. Additionally, using matches helps to avoid any potential chemical contamination from other fire-starting methods.

3. How long does it typically take to light coal with matches only?

The time it takes to light coal with matches only can vary depending on factors such as the amount of coal being lit, the quality of the matches, and the weather conditions. On average, it can take anywhere from 5-15 minutes for the coal to fully ignite and begin producing a steady flame.

4. Can I use any type of matches to light coal?

While any type of matches can technically be used to light coal, certain types may be more effective. It is recommended to use long matches or stormproof matches, as they have a longer burning time and can withstand windy conditions. Waterproof matches can also be useful if you are lighting coal in wet weather.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when lighting coal with matches only?

Yes, it is important to always exercise caution when working with fire. Before lighting the matches, make sure you have a clear and safe area for the fire to burn. Keep a bucket of water or a fire extinguisher nearby in case of emergency. After lighting the coal, never leave it unattended and be sure to fully extinguish the fire when you are finished. Always follow the safety guidelines provided by the manufacturer of your matches.