How to learn Computational electromagnetics?

In summary, the individual is a junior majoring in EE and has experience with D.K cheng's "Field and wave electromagnetics," Zill Cullen's "Advanced Engineering Mathematics (differential Eqs. & complex analysis)," and Gilbert Strang's "Linear Algebra and its Applications." They have limited programming experience and are interested in learning computational electromagnetics using MATLAB. They are seeking recommendations for textbooks, video lectures, or advice to help them in their situation. The expert suggests taking a course in programming or computational physics, as well as courses in applied mathematics and numerical analysis. They also recommend investing in the book "Introduction to Computational Electromagnetics" by Amos Ron and Anatoly S. Glavatskiy
Daniel.P
I'm a junior majoring in EE and learned with

1. D.K cheng : Field and wave electromagnetics

2. Zill Cullen : Advanced Engineering Mathematics (differential Eqs. & complex analysis)

3. Gilbert Strang : Linear Algebra and its Applications

+I've extremely avoided '~programming' course, so have only few C/C++ programming experience.

And what I want to do is learning computational electromagnetics using MATLAB.

Is there any good textbook, video lecture, or profound advice considering my situation?

Thank you!

Daniel.P said:
I'm a junior majoring in EE and learned with

1. D.K cheng : Field and wave electromagnetics

2. Zill Cullen : Advanced Engineering Mathematics (differential Eqs. & complex analysis)

3. Gilbert Strang : Linear Algebra and its Applications

+I've extremely avoided '~programming' course, so have only few C/C++ programming experience.

And what I want to do is learning computational electromagnetics using MATLAB.

Is there any good textbook, video lecture, or profound advice considering my situation?

Thank you!
Well one may wish to take a course in programming, either in Fortran or C++, but better yet, a course in computational physics if such courses are available at one's institution. Perhaps they are not available until graduate school.

Meanwhile, try starting with - http://www.ece.mcmaster.ca/faculty/nikolova/EM_2FH3_downloads/assignments/Matlab_Manual_2FH3_Bakr.pdf

In my experience, one would take courses in applied mathematics, particularly numerical analysis, while taking a programming course, then take courses with particular applications, e.g., CFD, or mechanics of materials or structures with FEA, or more elaborate systems that basically deal with systems of couple PDEs, particularly coupled, non-linear PDEs.

One may wish to invest in this book - http://www.scitechpub.com/Explore/9781891121586_Lonngren.pdf

Here is an example of an MIT open course
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electric...ce/6-630-electromagnetics-fall-2006/index.htm

Likes NELS0N

Related to How to learn Computational electromagnetics?

1. What is Computational Electromagnetics?

Computational electromagnetics is a field of study that uses computer simulation and mathematical methods to analyze and solve electromagnetic problems. It involves the application of numerical techniques to model and understand the behavior of electromagnetic fields and waves.

2. Why is Computational Electromagnetics important?

Computational electromagnetics plays a crucial role in many areas of science and engineering, such as telecommunications, radar and satellite communication, medical imaging, and the design of electronic devices. It allows for the analysis and optimization of complex electromagnetic systems that would be difficult or impossible to solve analytically.

3. What are the key components of learning Computational Electromagnetics?

The key components of learning Computational Electromagnetics include a strong foundation in mathematics (such as vector calculus and differential equations), understanding of electromagnetic theory, proficiency in programming languages and software tools (such as MATLAB or Python), and an ability to think creatively and critically to solve complex problems.

4. What are some resources for learning Computational Electromagnetics?

There are many resources available for learning Computational Electromagnetics, such as textbooks, online courses, tutorials, and research papers. Some recommended textbooks include "Computational Electromagnetics" by Thomas Rylander and "Computational Electromagnetics: Frequency-Domain Method of Moments" by Raj Mittra. Online courses like those offered by Coursera or edX can also provide a structured learning experience.

5. What are some common challenges in learning Computational Electromagnetics?

Some common challenges in learning Computational Electromagnetics include understanding the complex mathematical concepts and equations involved, choosing the appropriate numerical methods and software for a particular problem, and troubleshooting errors in simulations. It is also important to stay updated with advancements in the field, as computational methods are constantly evolving.