How to judge whether a space has the fixed-point property?

In summary, the conversation discusses the Brouwer fixed-point theorem and its application to spaces of the same homotopy type. The speaker expresses difficulty with the exercises and asks for advice on finding counterexamples. They also mention trying to come up with a function without a fixed point to gain intuition for the proof. The other person suggests retrying and offers thanks.
kakarotyjn
I just learned the Brouwer fixed-point theorem of dimention 1 and 2.But the exercises make me sad,I can't solve them.

Suppose X and Y are of the same homotopy type and X has the fixed-point property.Does Y also have it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried coming up with some counterexamples? Find a space that you know has the fixed point theorem, find a homotopy equivalent space, and see if you can come up with a function without a fixed point. Either you'll end up getting the answer for free or you might come up with some intuition as to how the proof should go

Yes,I've tried,but not very much.I will retry deep on it.Thank you

Related to How to judge whether a space has the fixed-point property?

1. How do you define the fixed-point property?

The fixed-point property is a mathematical concept that refers to the property of a space that guarantees the existence of a point that remains unchanged under a continuous transformation.

2. What are some examples of spaces with the fixed-point property?

Some common examples of spaces with the fixed-point property include closed intervals on the real number line, compact convex sets, and finite-dimensional vector spaces.

3. How is the fixed-point property different from other properties of a space?

The fixed-point property is distinct from other properties of a space, such as completeness or compactness, because it focuses specifically on the existence of a point that remains unchanged under a continuous transformation, rather than overall structure or behavior of the space.

4. Can a space have the fixed-point property if it is not a complete space?

Yes, a space can have the fixed-point property even if it is not complete. For example, the closed interval [0,1] has the fixed-point property, but it is not a complete space.

5. How is the fixed-point property relevant in real-world applications?

The fixed-point property has many practical applications, such as in economics, game theory, and computer science. It is used to prove the existence of solutions to various problems, such as finding equilibrium points in a market or finding a stable solution in a game. It is also used in algorithms for optimization and decision-making processes.