Our past lightcone is pear-shaped

• Thread starter marcus
  • Start date
In summary, in the "Space-Time Diagrams" section of the website, there is a pear-shaped lightcone outlined in red, representing the spatially "flat" case and critical density in our universe. However, this assumes zero cosmological constant and vacuum energy density. As dark energy causes acceleration in expansion, the lightcone will no longer look like a pear and instead inflect into a teardrop shape. This is supported by the idea that our observable universe will eventually be reduced to only 100 or so galaxies, with the rest disappearing beyond the horizon. The nature of dark energy remains uncertain, making it a major unknown factor in theoretical physics. The concept of the pear-shaped lightcone and its transformation into a teardrop can
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
here is a frustrating problem

http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/cosmo_03.htm

Scroll down to the "Space-Time Diagrams" section and you
will see a pear-shape lightcone outlined in red.

This is the lightcone in the spatially "flat" case which we
believe applies to our universe-----the Ω = 1 case----
the critical density case-----whatever.

But this case drawn here is for zero cosmological constant---zero Lambda----zero vacuum energy density.

Up to the present this makes hardly any difference because the dark energy has not caused very much acceleration in expansion YET. But in the future that lightcone will no longer look like a pear.

BTW each of those worldlines is another galaxy, and they have little triangles on them to show their future lightcones.

The side of the pear always matches the slope of the future lightcone of each galaxy it meets. This determines its shape.

Suppose the worldlines of the other galaxies started bending out to show accelerated expansion. What new shape would the pear acquire?

This chapter in Wright, and the preceding one, is suggesting ways to think visually about spacetime.

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
The tip gradually narrows, collapsing as the expansion overtakes light. This requires the pear inflect into a tear-drop before terminating at the collapse point.

(Edited for enhanced precision)

Last edited:
Bravo!

Originally posted by steinitz
While the rate at which galaxy worldlines leave the pear will gradually increase, the tip of the pear will gradually narrow until the rate of expansion is so great (recall that the speed resulting from unabated acceleration of cosmological expansion will eventually surpass that of light) that the tip will close completely, implying that at some preceding point the pear will have inflected into a tear-drop.

Your verbal description is very like what I have been imagining!
this time I believe I agree with you, and must give you much
credit for helping to clarify this!

By "tip" I understand you to mean the upper, narrower, part of the pear. This is what I have imagined as narrowing and having, at some time, an inflection.

what is fascinating is the thought that there could actually be two
parts---the waist could pinch off.

Do you have a link or web-reference for this-----for further clarification?

The conventional picture of what results from an unchanging
cosm. const./dark energy density is that eventually our observable universe is only 100 or so galaxies.

this I wish to relate to the forming of the "waist" of the pear.

I consider that these 100 or so galaxies are, at least for the time being, bound gravitationally to the Milky Way. So the expansion does not carry them off beyond the horizon.

At least the Local Group of 10 or so galaxies should stay as a cluster.

But the pinching off of the "waist" of the pear----if this really is what the model predicts---would correspond to everything outside of a few galaxies disappearing! No more Cosmic Microwave Background!

Am delighted by the extremity of the picture.

But I can think of no reason to suppose that the dark energy density will remain constant---to date there is nothing but speculation as to its nature, so why should one suppose anything? Or do you disagree?

Originally posted by marcus

...this time I believe I agree with you...

Uh oh. I must be wrong

But I can think of no reason to suppose that the dark energy density will remain constant---to date there is nothing but speculation as to its nature

Agreed, and at this point it's arguably the single biggest wildcard in theoretical physics.

Do you have a link or web-reference for this...?

I learned about this stuff from Hawking and Ellis's "large scale structure of space-time" which is the standard text on the application of global methods in GR.

Last edited:
delighted by this witty and helpful post
thx
marcus

What is a lightcone?

A lightcone is a theoretical construct used in physics to describe the path of light in space and time. It is essentially a 3-dimensional cone that represents the boundaries of all possible paths that light can take from a specific event or point in space.

What does it mean for a lightcone to be pear-shaped?

When we say that a lightcone is pear-shaped, we are referring to the spatial geometry of the cone. In this case, the cone is not symmetrical and instead has a bulge or curvature on one side, resembling the shape of a pear.

How does our past lightcone being pear-shaped relate to the concept of time?

Our past lightcone being pear-shaped is related to the concept of time in that it represents the boundaries of our past experiences. The pear-shaped geometry indicates that not all events in our past have the same likelihood of being observed or remembered, and some may have a greater impact on our present and future.

What causes the pear-shaped geometry of our past lightcone?

The pear-shaped geometry of our past lightcone is caused by the curvature of spacetime. This curvature is influenced by the distribution of matter and energy in the universe, which can vary in different regions and affect the shape of our lightcone.

What implications does a pear-shaped lightcone have for our understanding of the universe?

The pear-shaped geometry of our past lightcone challenges our traditional understanding of time and causality. It suggests that our past experiences and memories are not equally accessible or significant, and that the distribution of matter and energy in the universe can shape our perception of reality. This has implications for our theories of the universe and our place within it.